Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Aileron Servo tearing out

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aileron Servo tearing out

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
remzroller
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Servo tearing out

So after I built larger ailerons for my avistar, I went to dual servos. In each side of the wing I glued in 2 balsa sticks under the ribs lip. Then simply screwed the servo in. So today I went to go fly for the first time, and I was doing rolls and Immelmans, and after about 2 minutes I realized the plane kept banking hard to the right. Thought it was the wing then realized my aileron servo had came out and was hanging on the linkage . Landed the plane in some grass, everything was fine except the screws weren't there. So why would the screws come out? I do remember that the screws in that servo were fine threaded, and my other were wider, more spaced apart. Could that be a problem
Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Aileron Servo tearing out

Did you use thin CA to harden the wood in the screw holes?? If not that is probably why the screws backed out. After you drill the hole use a screw in the hole to cut threads in the wood. Then remove the screw and wick thin CA in to the hole. This will harden the wood where the screw threads have been cut. Make sure you let the CA completely dry before you mount screws.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 07-02-2008, 12:52 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anything should be mounted on balsa wood . Use spruce or basswood at least a 1/4" thick . You may get bye with it for awhile but sooner or later it will bit you . This also goes for planes that use lite-ply for the firewalls ,use regular plywood . You were lucky this time . Good luck , MAX H.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: big max 1935

I don't think anything should be mounted on balsa wood . Use spruce or basswood at least a 1/4" thick . You may get bye with it for awhile but sooner or later it will bit you . This also goes for planes that use lite-ply for the firewalls ,use regular plywood . You were lucky this time . Good luck , MAX H.
I agree. No balsa wood for mounting servos or any thing that needs built in strength.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:21 PM
remzroller
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think its balsa lol. Im guessing because its very soft and i can peel it easily. Is there anything else I can do to help hold the servo in?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:47 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope. Get rid of the soft wood.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:29 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Use aircraft quality plywood!