Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

learning to take off

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

learning to take off

Old 07-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Stick 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default learning to take off

OK, here is the problem, I am training my friend and he want to do a take off.....

Is there anything that needs to be done or preformed before we try this. He flys around ok, does not hold alt. very well , is a little jerky on the sticks.

He has the park zone cub and is flying that on his own and he is spending time on the computer flying and does good on that, ( its a cheaper sim. ).

I would like to see him do some low passes stright down the field and preform some simple things like loops, etc.

any ideas? like what should a student be able to do before a landing or take off.

Should a student land before takeoff?????
Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 PM
beachyboy429

Default RE: learning to take off

being fairly new myself, takeoff is easy. get lots of room, make sure the plane wont flip (if youre not on pavement), get up speed and gently pull up. simple. If he can do basic flying, make him takeoff himself and fly...and you'll have to land it. As you land, talk him through it. my uncle did 4 landings, 2 i watched the plane as he talked, and the last 2 i watched the transmitter as he talked through it and when i tried it, i nailed it.

repitition is key. once he gets the eye for distance, wind, feel etc, he'll be fine. have him practice approach, touch and go's and landings on the simulator so he has a slight feel for it.

as for holding alt well, he'll just need flight time, its something you have to have hands on practice for. jerky sticks is just because he hasnt flown enough and cant feel what the plane does. Just bring batteries/fuel and let him fly and fly and fly. He'll calm down on jerkyness, retain alt better, and become comforable flying.

just remind him, its only a cheap r/c plane, no pressure whatsoever.

ALL that is how i learned and solo'd so it should work for your buddy as well

Good Luck
Michael
Old 07-04-2008, 05:32 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like he may not quite be ready yet. He should be able to make straight, level passes flying over the field. If he has a problem not holding altitude that would worry me with a take off. If he looses too much altitude at lift off it could be a serious problem and if he is still "jerking" on the sticks he may pull up too hard and put it in a stall. Give him some time for more practice some folks take longer than others to get comfortable with flying let alone take off and landing. As far as loops go, concentrate on the basics first then move to mild aerobatics. I have had students land before they take off but it is not the norm, it really depends on each individuals skill and comfort level.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:11 AM
ernbar

Before attemting a takeoff or a landing, you have to be able to handle low flight, and have complete control on your turns, since during turning loss of lift is experienced making the plane sink a bit . At low altitude, there is no room for a safe recovery most of the time. He as the student should listen to you and be a little more patient. Have him try some low passes and have him get used to the stick movement so he can smooth out his routine. Takeoffs are fairly easy as compared to landings. Take your time and don't rush it. This is a hobby and there is no deadline when to land or solo, this will keep accidents to a minimum. On takeoffs, give it plenty of runway, nose wheel starts to lift off or tail dragger's tail comes up, then its time for gentle up elevator for a shallow even climb. Avoid premature steep climbs during rotation which may cause a stall. It just takes a lot of time, patience and perfect practice.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

The very last thing I teach is the take off. Fact is I let my students know the take off is perhaps the hardest part of flying.
Why would I do this you ask?? Perhaps I'm just prone to BS!! Nope, well, maybe just A little, I was taught this way too.
I don't want one of my students thinking he will fly without me being there if I'm late getting to the field. Taking off is just way too easy, flying isn't too hard but that landing thing and keeping the plane in one piece is always A thrill.
I teach flying first, landing second then that really hard part, the dreaded take off.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 AM
ernbar

Gray Beard has a valid point. Once I pulled into a public flying field with a friend and a kid was flying alone. I was explaining to my buddy how the RC thing works when the kid leaned over and asked me to land his plane. After I landed his plane, the kid explained that his trainer hadn't shown up and he took off without him there, hoping he would show up before his tank went dry! The kid was very lucky that I showed up and saved his Eaglet.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Stick 40

thanks,

we went to the field today and after watching me on take offs he backed down on trying, just yet. We were using his plane today, ( used the clubs yesterday and it handles better) and his is a little liter and tougher to take off. The right wing wanted to dip down ( need to check left - right balance), and we have the alierons setup a little high for him.

I was thinking about it and I think the idea of low pass's and keeping strignt down the run way at a lower speed is a very good idea.
I was mainly trying to find ways of getting this though to him, in a nice way. I understand he wants to get on with the training, but it takes time and practice.

Still it would be nice to have a SET of guidelines for starting to land and takeoff with a new student. Just some things they should be able to do with some degree of ability!

If this keeps going I will start a list for myself and anyone who is interested.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:14 AM
BillyGoat

I have introduced a take off fairly early (depending on a lot of factors). The times I have is when I saw the student hit a plateau or took a step backward; basically getting frustrated in their lack of progress. Iā€™ll bring them down to the ground and have them practice taxi as a change of pace.

A few times I was able to get students to taxi faster and faster straight down the runway after a few minutes of practice. when I see the plane has hit flying speed I say ā€œbump up just a littleā€ and it takes off. Of course Iā€™ve got my fingers on the sticks of the master transmitter just like I were flying it and will release the trainer switch moments after the wheels leave the ground, but hey they took off and it does wonders for their psyche.

I always introduce takes offs before landings. The question of how early depends on the student.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

When one of my students {12 years old} was ready for take off lessons he had already landed countless times. I told him what to do, he did it and the plane was in the air, all he said was that taking off was just way easy!! All I could do was smile. I taught him take off at that point because I was ready to have him doing touch and goes.
I have taught A few times but this kid was ready to solo on day one. I taught him another day though just to make sure then let him solo. It was nothing to him, my knees were shaking every time I had to land for A couple of years.
Now my 60 year old student is another story.[&o]