Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What is a good reliable remote glow setup?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What is a good reliable remote glow setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Birman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good reliable remote glow setup?

I want to use a remote glow setup and I've never used one before so I'm now familiar with them.

Can you recommend ad reliable brand that will stay attached to the glow plug?

Birman
Old 07-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: What is a good reliable remote glow setup?

None of the ones you can buy. I think I have tried them all and they all ended up to be total junk and A waste of time.
Then it hit me!!!! Why not make your own!!! Something small so you can't notice it and it can be hidden on A scale plane if you want. What A thought!!
Here is what I did. Radio shack has these little way cool head phone jacks and they come in three packs. 1/8 mono phone jacks #274-251, you will also need the male ends too and they come in A two pack. You just solder on one wire for the ground and one that goes to the glow plug. At firs I was making my own glow plug ends with A stainless wire. I was A Dental Lab Tech so I had the wire in stock. That was OK for me but when I showed friends this cool little set up they couldn't bend the wire very well.
I tried different types of glow plug caps and found two good ones. I sort of went with the Cermark #410 MCD Glow Socket. It's A twist on and works with both four and two stroke engines.
Much cleaner then the systems you buy and I have never had one come loose or start shorting out.
I have one male lead set up for my power pannel and I made up A short one for A hot shot glow driver by using the end off of A hot shot charger and soldering on A male.
Just really A simple thing to make and better then anything you can buy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93298.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	984899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30461.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	984900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69846.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	984901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41613.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	984902  
Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a very nice and clean looking setup Gray Beard. Can you give a little more detail? Like where on the jacks do the wires get soldered and where do you attach the ground wire? A hand drawn diagram would be helpful. Sorry if I sound picky, but pictures/drawings really help me to understand things better.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Gray Beard

Can't draw anything out for you, my scanner is still using my old ISP and it can't send anything. Just stick with me on this one thought, there are only two wires.
Go buy the neat little jacks at radio shack. Look at them both, they each have two little ears with holes on them. Use your mark one eyeball and look closely and you will see one is on the outside of both of them, this is the ground side/wire/ear. The other ear is for the positive wire. If you can't figure it out then plug the male in and watch how it works and I'm sure it will come to you like getting hit with A thunder bolt. Well, that's how it hit me anyway.
If you look at the photo of the old bipe you can see the two wires sticking out next to the motor mount. One has A round lug on the end, this is the ground and it gets tightened down on under an engine mounting screw, really, any screw on the engine will ground it. The other lead has A little metal gizmo I made and it goes on the glow plug. When you plug the male lead into the female jack it completes the circut and the glow plug glows.
Now that cute little glow plug gizmo I made I tell friends to just buy that Cermark glow plug cap, it works really well. The thing I made is just A copy of one that came with A store bought unit. They worked but kept popping off, not my home made ones but they are A pain in the toot to bend and solder if you don't have the correct tools.
I tried to shoot some photos for you but they are too blurred. I kinda got one with both the ends for you that you can see the little ears.
If you had them in your hand you could figure it out right away.
If you still couldn't figure it out then you can use A multi meter to see what one was correct. That works.
If you still can't figure it out then maybe you should buy one to get the idea then it will come to you but it's only two wires.

Name:	Om32057.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	984914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41077.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	984915  
Old 07-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That actually helps me quite a bit. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Gray Beard

Your very welcome but seriously, the photos had so much blurr to them I couldn't make heads or tailes from them. I got my camera about the same time I got this old gateway and there is no macro on it. Those were the best two photos. If I could ever figure out how works A computer I could have drawn it out for you. The tabs or ears are really easy to follow though so you shouldn't have any problems. Great system and if your engine is cowled or inverted this is the way to go.
This is what the other photos looked like.

Name:	Yv66100.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	985051  
Old 07-06-2008, 08:39 PM
YAT-28E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you make the gizmo to attach to the glow plug head?

Is it a spring type wire that holds on?

i love this idea as I am going to apply to some of my models

Mike
Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Gray Beard

Mike, just buy the Cermark one I showed in photo 4. I think it's them that makes the one with A rubber boot that is spring loaded too. That one I have in stock but the one I showed is good for both 2 and 4 stroke engines, the rubber boot model doesn't work on most 4 strokes because of the angle of the glow plug and head.
In photo 3 is A shot of the one I made hanging off the white wire. I was A Dental Lab Tech at one point in life and did A lot of Ortho work making retainers. Bending wire is A talent that takes A while to learn and I have some special little pliers to help me. I also used heat shrink wrap over it to keep it from shorting out.
All I did was take things you can buy and adapted them to RC, nothing special.
You should see me shopping in the Dollar store though!!!
Oh, Mike, when I finish bending the wire it is spring loaded but it's just A straight piece of wire when I start.