Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Z Bends, EZ Connector, Clevis. What's the Diff?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Z Bends, EZ Connector, Clevis. What's the Diff?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:58 PM
starcop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z Bends, EZ Connector, Clevis. What's the Diff?

Hi All, So on throttles EZ Connectors are the way to go. Z Bends or Clevis on flying surfaces; why can't a guy use EZ Connectors on a flying surface push rod? Do they break? Slip? I'm just wondering because I've always used them with airplanes I've built. I've never had a problem, because I put a divit in the push rod, then the small allen head pushes into the divit for a secure hold on the push rod. I know there are people out there who have a lot more experience than I, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks, in advance. starcop

BTW, I fixed the EZ Connectors; I used Z Bends. It's just hard to adjust the clevis at times.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14135.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	985108  
Old 07-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: Z Bends, EZ Connector, Clevis. What's the Diff?

starcop
You will find out that the EZ connectors are not recomended on plane larger than 60. And you never use them on Piano wire, they will not bite in to the rod and will slip. I only use the soft extensions , threaded rods and have no problems.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had them come loose too. Z-bends are the easiest.

Here is another little tip while we are at it. I don't use solid wire for throttle anymore. When I was flying combat and got bounced around too much the solid wire would always strip the servo. Using braided wire gives enough flex to save the servo in the event something wants to re-locate the engine.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:09 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EZ connectors can slip, the set screw can vibrate loose, the clip holding them in the horn can fall off and so on. This makes them inappropriate for control surfaces in my opinion. I've seen them cause crashes. Even if they were to work 99% of the time, that 1% will be bad. I see RC airplanes just like real airplanes; taking too many chances will eventually lead to disaster.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use them on control surfaces all the time (On 40-60 size planes)

The biggest thing is to make sure they're TIGHT. I hold the barrel with pliers while I'm tightening the set screw.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:05 PM
carrellh

EZ connectors are great for the throttle.

My brother had them on all servos on a Big Stik 40. After a year or so he noticed some slop in the linkages. The EZ Connectors had wallowed out the holes in the servo arms. We think they might locate the pushrod far enough above the servo arm to introduce a little twisting motion that increases wear.

My favorite setup is a soldered clevis at the servo end and an adjustable clevis at the control surface.
Second favorite is a 90 degree bend at the servo with these locks.

Name:	Ay73606.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	985307  
Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
starcop

Hi Guys, Great input on this subject; by the way. So here is a picture. The EZ Connector has a screw on bottum piece, it will lock once it reaches the end of the cap end. I drop a little CA on the treads; they break when you have to remove them. That's okay because I have a box full. Then I use my dremel tool and put a slight dent with a grinding disc. That way once you have the correct throw you can set it and forget it. The dentation acts as a guide to lock the allen screw into the push rod. Here is an example picture. I've used these for over 6 years with over 100 flights and I crash before one has failed. I've actually seen more Z Bends break from stress to the metal after bending it. So it hit or miss. Thanks for all the input. starcop

Name:	Wu59440.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	985314  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Villa

People who use EZ Connector point out they are more convenient; easier to use. I give that zero consideration. Reliability is my main consideration. A Z-bend on one end and a locking adjustable clevis at the other is my first choice. A couple of near 90 degree bends on the throttle rod gives good servo protection in a crash. Some shock absorption to protect the steering servo is always good.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

starcop,

im with minnflyer on this one i always use them and have never had a problem (7 years now) like minn said make sure there tight with a flat spot on the pushrod and use loctite on them and they stay put without any trouble.

bassman
Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
BillyGoat

I’m in the group of not using EZ connectors on flying surfaces for the reasons listed already.

Used to use Z bends exclusively but have gotten away from those as well, not because I’ve had any failures, but getting the bends of the Z into the hole of a servo arm will stretch the hole slightly creating slop. On 40 size sport planes I like the connectors that Carrell posted a pic of.

Also I’ve sworn off plastic clevis’. Only metal for me.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:33 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I use them on control surfaces all the time (On 40-60 size planes)

The biggest thing is to make sure they're TIGHT. I hold the barrel with pliers while I'm tightening the set screw.
That's interesting. After seeing a couple incidents related to the easy connectors, I've pretty much steered clear of them except on little electrics. In fairness, the problems I've seen could have been installer related too. I guess it is a piece of mind thing for me. I just feel a lot better with a z-bend or clevis.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Campgems

I use an EZ conector on the throttle. I used to us Z bends, Went to L bend with the locks and now only use clevises on both ends, Soldered on one if needed and adjustable on the other. Z bends are sloppy in the fit. There is not way to get a 1/16" wire with a 90 degree bend through a 3/32" long hole of 1/16" diameter. So, the hole gets enlarged enough to take the bend and you end up with a sloppy fit. For a trainer, this isn't to much of a problem, but as you progress up the line in performance, it becomes more and more a problem.

The last plane I put together and one I'm retrofitting now, has Ball Links on the servo and Robart ball link horns. Any slop in this setup is the result of gear lash. The linkage is solid as a rock. I still use the EZ links for the throttle though. Haven't found a better setup for them. Ball link on the carb and an EZ link on the throttle. My only complaint is making fine adjustments to the EZ link as it want to settle back to the last point the set screw cut into the cable or rod.

Don
Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 AM
starcop

Hi Guys, Yeah, I'm going to look into the Ball Link setup for future models. The Z Bends obviously work well but do create some slop. Now a ball link noted that they are engineered for certail pressure and usually zero slop with less friction for wear; so all in all great stuff to think about for saftey and reliability after you spend several dollars and hours building your price plane. I'm one of those people who think it's better to take your time and do something right and not wise to do it at all if your not 100% sure. Once all problems are solved, it only leaves Mother Nature to blame if something goes wrong or fails to work properly. Good info! starcop