Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Chatty Kathy at the Field

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Chatty Kathy at the Field

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:34 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chatty Kathy at the Field

I go to the feild to fly and relax. I'm not there for a non-stop discussion about RC. I'm over that stuff. I just want to fly when its my turn. And kick back in the shade and have a cool drink and watch.
But there is this guy that just never, and I do mean never shuts up. He is in your face constantly telling you its better to do "this" or he just read "that". He is young. And he hasn't been in the hobby very long. So, I wrote it off as exuberance at first.
But now it seems much more aggressive, almost challenging. And frankly there is an element of self delution about him. He talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk, if you know what I mean. He is starting to get a little creepy.

What do you do with these guys ? Keep in mind I am starting to think there might be some illness involved now. Or possibly the rest of his life is just out of his control, and this is the only place he feels he can be an expert or something. Its just way overboard.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:51 PM
meaden

Default RE: Chatty Kathy at the Field

Take the high road. Go to the field and do your thing (be courtious) but don't let him take the fun out of what you want to enjoy from the hobby.

If it's really overboard I'm sure other club members know too and it will shake out.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

There are many people who are starving for a little attention, and for some reason he has been impressed by you. You could take the very high road and approach him, draw him out, challenge him to some synchronized flying, mentor him, teach him to mellow out, offer to teach him some cool flying skills, etc.
Working with emotionally unbalanced people can be stressful though, so talk it over with others at the field and see what their feelings on the subject are. He may be just desperately trying to "fit in".
Old 07-19-2008, 02:16 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think Dorsal has the right idea to approach first. Without seeing his behavior firsthand, it's hard for us to see just how overbearing he really is, but go with it as long as you can stand it, try to make him understand you came out for your stated reasons and would like to enjoy your time. If he refuses to take the hint after repeated tries, try the direct approach and tell him to BTFO.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SSS [8D]
Old 07-19-2008, 06:45 PM
ernbar

I think Dorsal has a point. He may just want to be 'one of the guys' but hes just rushing it and using the wrong approach. I would let him vent and eventually he should slow down. Years ago I belonged to a club where one guy knew it all, done it all. He'd find this and that wrong with your plane, but as soon as he took off he would crash the plane and pick up and go home![sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eat a huge plate of broccoli and baked beans the night before you go flying then wash it down with some really dark beer. He'll stay clear.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:44 AM
draftman1

oh man Chuck, that will work but he will be the only one at the field, Hmmm that sounds like a great idea!
Old 07-20-2008, 08:56 AM
BillyGoat

I like going to the field to chat in between flights, but guys like you describe get under my skin and I seem to be a magnet for that type of personality.

I found, from working out at the gym, nothing keeps people from talking to you better than headphones (Ear buds work the best). Whenever somebody says something to you, pull one of the buds out and ask them to repeat what they said, even if you did hear. As soon as you give your response, put the bud back in your ear and go about your business. Keep doing this until they get the idea you’re more interested in listening to your music than them. My experience is two, three times tops.

The best part it doesn’t even need to be ON! I’ve played the ear bud out, ear bud in, game long after the battery in my iPod died. You can get little FM radios, complete with ear buds, at a dollar store for just a couple bucks.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Hi...We at our field have a simular situation with a (elder) guy. Seems that he comes to the field just to point out every mistake or problem (as he see's it) on my planes. At first I just turned off my hearing so to speak and let him wander off to bug some other poor guy. But because my planes are almost always the biggest in size he comes back to my pit. I don't want to hurt this guys feelings as I'm sure he means no ill will but just the same I wish he would go away.
On day it hit me that he does not ever bring anything to fly to the field, just shows up and goes off. So I got to thinking?????????????? maybe he can't afford anything. o I got my very old Sig J-3 and brought it to the field with me one day. This model has been sitting in the rafters so long the engine froze up in it. But the airframe is perfect. So this guy shows up and starts his stuff. I asked him to come over to the truck and explained that if he could get the J-3 going it was his to keep. My plan was if he had his own plane he would leave me and the others alone. Well he took me up on the offer and we placed the Cub in his car. He did not even thank me but that was O.K. Now when I go to the field this guy for some reason never shows up anymore while I'm there.
I hope his health is O.K. and that nothing is wrong with him. But for whatever reason that Cub was the best "gift" I ever gave anyone. I now have more room in my garage and peace at the field from this guy comeing over and telling me how screwed up my equipment is.

Anyways that is how I handled the problem with a "chatty Kathie" at our field.........I think?????????????
Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 AM
khodges

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Eat a huge plate of broccoli and baked beans the night before you go flying then wash it down with some really dark beer. He'll stay clear.
If I did that, I'd have to park a portajohn next to my flight station.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not NEAR as nice as you guys.

I fly nice equipment and I build nice planes (except for my old beat up trainer). Anybody comes over and starts telling me how to rig my servos or plumb a tank, he's gonna hear this,

"Let's see your plane. WOW!! You showed up with THAT ugly piece-o-crap?!?! HEY EVERYBODY!! COME LOOK AT THIS OLD JUNKER THAT CHATTY PATTY BROUGHT OUT!! YEEHAA, THATS A BEATER!!................Did you cycle the batteries? Might be a safety hazard and we can't let you fly it if we suspect it's a safety hazard. You should probably just go home and do some maintenance to the junker before you come back...." Basically, make a big scene and turn it around on him. Call out everybody that will listen and get them to come over to the guys pit table and rip him a new one. I got buddies who feel the same way as me about idiots like this and we stick together. Mess with one of us, you got ALL of us at your pit table screwing with your head.[sm=lol.gif]

or

"You don't even fly!! Where's your plane? Do you even own anything other than that stupid Parkzone Cub with the 18" wingspan and the box tape all over it? Get outta my face and leave me alone dumb***s."

I'll just embarrass the hell out of the guy. Turn it around on him and make him look like the idiot. I go to the field to shoot the bull with my buddies and fly my planes. The last thing I'm going to put up with is some tool ripping on my stuff when he doesn't even fly or hasn't graduated beyond the trainer stage of the hobby.

Some people don't understand anything except outright rudeness. I don't bother people or mess with people. But if you mess with me, you'll regret it pretty quick. [>:]
Old 07-20-2008, 01:36 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

WE have a couple at our Field, but what is amazing, I think every Club has one or two as well, I have been to events at other Clubs and sure enough low and behold a Chatty Patty; it seems the phrase that everyone has a twin somewhere is true; these guys have one in every club.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:26 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

I'm not NEAR as nice as you guys.

I fly nice equipment and I build nice planes (except for my old beat up trainer). Anybody comes over and starts telling me how to rig my servos or plumb a tank, he's gonna hear this,

"Let's see your plane. WOW!! You showed up with THAT ugly piece-o-crap?!?! HEY EVERYBODY!! COME LOOK AT THIS OLD JUNKER THAT CHATTY PATTY BROUGHT OUT!! YEEHAA, THATS A BEATER!!................Did you cycle the batteries? Might be a safety hazard and we can't let you fly it if we suspect it's a safety hazard. You should probably just go home and do some maintenance to the junker before you come back...." Basically, make a big scene and turn it around on him. Call out everybody that will listen and get them to come over to the guys pit table and rip him a new one. I got buddies who feel the same way as me about idiots like this and we stick together. Mess with one of us, you got ALL of us at your pit table screwing with your head.[sm=lol.gif]

or

"You don't even fly!! Where's your plane? Do you even own anything other than that stupid Parkzone Cub with the 18" wingspan and the box tape all over it? Get outta my face and leave me alone dumb***s."

I'll just embarrass the hell out of the guy. Turn it around on him and make him look like the idiot. I go to the field to shoot the bull with my buddies and fly my planes. The last thing I'm going to put up with is some tool ripping on my stuff when he doesn't even fly or hasn't graduated beyond the trainer stage of the hobby.

Some people don't understand anything except outright rudeness. I don't bother people or mess with people. But if you mess with me, you'll regret it pretty quick. [>:]
Rcpilot Bueller, you're my heeero!

That might not be the first things I said, but they would sure be what I was thinking. They would be the second things I'd say, though, if the nicely phrased hints didn't work first. Like I said earlier, BTFO.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: khodges

Rcpilot Bueller, you're my heeero!

That might not be the first things I said, but they would sure be what I was thinking. They would be the second things I'd say, though, if the nicely phrased hints didn't work first. Like I said earlier, BTFO.
I'm not known for being politically correct. Ask anyone who knows me. I'm blunt and to the point 100% of the time. I don't believe in "tickling people butts" to make them feel better. I'll tell ya what I think and you can take it or leave it.

Yes, it's gotten me in trouble a few times in life. At least I'm honest.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
carlosponti

sad thing is I am usually that guy well not the telling people how to set up things. I just get really talkative about anything RC. I am probably still as annoying to say the least.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

A method I picked up is to tune my engine - with plane on ground at full RPM no one will bother to stand near you and talk

There's two of these guys at my field. One is nice and trying to help, owns an LHS, but gives me advice I feel is not correct (I'm only 2mos into the hobby but have definitely done my homework) and it's hard when he gives me advice, and I say "uh huh" but don't do what he's saying as I feel it's wrong.

The other is a young guy who likes drugs and likes to drink at the field. He just talks and talks and talks and talks and talks.... So I make lots of flights when he's around, keeping my engine running as much as possible to drown him out and make him go talk to someone else.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:40 PM
draftman1

magic shops have stuff called fart spray, man it stinks bad! a few shots of it around your table will keep him away.

garrcfield. the guy is drinking? man our club has strict alcohal rules, no drinking period! at the next meeting maybe that should be proposed. no drinking for pilots or spectators. that will keep him away
Old 07-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

We have had a few ederly members who were "chatty Kathys" but I always make myself listen a much as I can and nod at te appropriate times. For some of the guys, the flying field is one of the few if not only places they get to interact with others. Some seem to also be "know it alls" but really don't realize they are coming off that way and may not mean to be.

I may be old and lonely one of these days. I hope some one puts up with me.

We have a younger fellow who comes out that is the most annoying person I have ever met.

He gets the RCPilot treatment. Funny thing is that it doesn't deter him one bit.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 PM
ecmiller

Let's recap shall we:

Cans of fart smell, baked beans and dark beer, ear plugs, telling him to BTFO and.....oh yah, the "moderator" had a great one...embarrass the hell out of him by referring to his equipment as junk.

***? What a great way to promote the hobby. Who is the one with problem again? Some of you people need to grow up.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
rceric

This thread is too funny..

Did any of you consider that the guy might be correct? Maybe Pilotfighter should take his advice?

Just Kidding.....

Old 07-21-2008, 07:50 PM
meaden

ORIGINAL: ecmiller

Let's recap shall we:

Cans of fart smell, baked beans and dark beer, ear plugs, telling him to BTFO and.....oh yah, the "moderator" had a great one...embarrass the hell out of him by referring to his equipment as junk.

***? What a great way to promote the hobby. Who is the one with problem again? Some of you people need to grow up.
We all need to be the joker or the butt of the joke sometimes...I'm sure some of the suggestions were less than serious.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM
draftman1

yeap, jokeing aside, I am alot more friendly than that, some guys at the club wont welcome new people or anything like that. I tend to attract the talkers also, I talk for a little while then I wana fly so they migrate down the line. and sometimes I will go up to them and chit chat for a min, just to be friendly, I dont ignore anybody at the site. most of the guys that do talk, actualy do know what they are talking about and walk the talk