Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

4.8 or 6 volt

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:19 AM
poison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 or 6 volt

Have a question I have a spitfire and was useing a hitec retract servo and a 6 volt battery was trying to get my retracts to work the correct way and my gears ended up stripping out I was wondering if some of my problem was I was using a 6 volt and it was putting out to much torque? I was wanting to use 6 volt so maybe I can fly longer, I had seen some things about hooking up 2 battiers I was not for sure how that works does anyone know if a 4 volt battiery would be fine to use for the plane and is 6volt to much power for a retract servo?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: 4.8 or 6 volt

Properly set up mechanically the 6-volt (5-cell) pack should work fine. You cannot fly longer with 6 volts as compared to 4.8 volts. Flying time is primarily a function of the capacity of the pack as measured in mAh (milli-Amp Hours). Typical sport packs are 600 mAh but can be purchased in larger sizes (e.g. 1500 mAh, 2100 mAh), etc. I prefer 6.0 volts over 4.8 volts but it is because I get faster stronger servo response, not extra flying time. You can hook up two battery packs together to get more flying time, but at the expense of extra weight. Most 600 mAh packs will fly a 4-servo .40 sized plane for 90 minutes or more.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a 6 volt pack and a 4.8 volt pack using the same cells, the 6 volt pack will give you a shorter flying time.

Why; the higher voltage causes a greater current flow.

Airborne flight time is a function of rx battery capacity versus current drain. 90 minutes on a 4.8 volt 600mah pack is NORMAL BUT IF THERE IS JUST ONE STICKY SERVO LINKAGE THEN YOU MIGHT ONLY GET HALF THAT.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM
BobPhx

I suspect your gears are stripping because of some sort of mechanical bind or set up problem, i.e. the retract is binding on the way up or down, or the end points are not set up right. My .02.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Retract servos will not respond to endpoint adjustment, once keyed they will travel their full 180 degrees or just over.

You are using a actual retract servo and not just a standad servo arn't you? 4.8 or 6.0 is not your problem. All adjustments for retract servos must be done mechanically through the linkage and frequently they require a larger wheel. Fellows often fail to get this adjustment right and never get the gear fully in the down and locked position resulting in gear collapse, are you sure the Retract Servo is stripped?

John
Old 08-07-2008, 02:55 PM
scratchonly

I have stalled my hitec retract servo many times during setup and have not stripped any gears. This on 4.8 V.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The retract has a rod that is actuated by the pushrod. Pull the retract and measure the stroke from full up and locked to full down and locked. Lets assume its an easy 1"

Take a blank wheel, drill two holes exactly 180 degrees across from each other and exactly 1" apart for the connections. If the stroke is 3/4" then make the holes 3/4" apart. That will give you full travel on your retract mechanisim without binding anything.