Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sorry Triton 2 Charger or Battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sorry Triton 2 Charger or Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:55 PM
smthlndr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry Triton 2 Charger or Battery?

I am really dissapointed. I had a hobby shop talk me into a triton 2 and 2000mah 6.0 batteries today. I go to charge them and it shows like 7.63. So charger will not charge anymore. I had it on taxing and it went crazy and shut down. Battery shows 6.71 and power will not stay on the Spektrum receiver. This sucks. I have the new DX7 spektrum and installed them both . Well when the battery or what ever happened went down i tried again and it threw my aileron way to far and stripped the gear on the right side. And now my elevator will not work at all but rudder and trottle will. The ailerons work but when applied to the left the elevator automaticaly goes up,The elev. sticks to this position, then applied right the elev. goes down. The elev. sticks to this position. I just can't win........ any help would be really,really appreciated.

thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sorry Triton 2 Charger or Battery?

Need more information on what you are flying.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

What in the world do you think the charger has to do with your receiver problems?
If that 2000mah 6.0 battery is what you have connected to the receiver, ANY receiver will work with a 4.8 volt battery, so you have PLENTY of voltage if the battery is giving 6.71 (which is MORE than 6.0, in case you were confused.) I hope you had that Triton set for the correct KIND of battery also - Is it NiCd or NiMh?
I have 2 Tritons and they work excellently well, so if you need any questions answered, fire them off.
Your problems are with the receiver or the transmitter not talking to each other, I'd guess.
So, back to what TFF was asking - What transmitter, what receiver, what servos, what ESC, electric or glow or glider, what are you talking about?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 PM
smthlndr

Well i am trying to fly my sig extra 300xs. Zenoah engine. I am using the DX7 And the receiver that came with it. I figuered out this morning that it is the battery although brand new. I can hook up the other new battery with 6.4 volts in it and the elevator and all works fine. Whats wierd is i can hook up the other new battery which had 6.7volts when all this was going on but now has 8.4 according to the triton. And the elevator will not work. Is this weird or what. Anyways how far off are the nimh readings. How can i completely and safely discharge the 2000mah 6.0 volt and tell exactly how much is in the battery and charge it fully to be trusted. What should the triton read when it is fully charged?

thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Bad_Daddy

When you have set the battery TYPE for NIMH, by rotating the wheel you will see you can run a Charge, Discharge, Charge-to-Discharge cycle, Discharge-to-Charge cycle, as you wish. I would suggest you run the Discharge-to-charge cycle and set it for 3 cycles. As the cycles progress, you will be able to read the capacity in mAh of each cycle and should see it gain in value with each cycle, until the last one. These will take a few hours to complete, so you'll have plenty of time to read the manual for yourself.
If that's a 6.0V NiMh battery, it has 5 cells. I believe a NiMh will top off at 1.52 V (maybe it's 1.54), so you could read around 7.70 volts at peak. After you cycle the battery a couple times, the false readings should cease.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 PM
smthlndr

Thanks daddy you helped. I went to my local hobby store today and they think i'm crazy. I told them i could take the battery that reads 6.97 volts ook it up and everything works but the ekevator. I can simply unplug the battery hook up the other one reading 6.49 and everything works elevator and all. I do nothing else move nothing or change anything just simply unplug and plug. Einstein is neede for this one i think because no one seems to know what it is. i'll do like you said and thanks again. I read the manual but i am bad at understanding things as i read it especially volts mah all that battery talk is new to me.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:52 AM
jetmech05

What are you using to check the voltage of the batteries? The Triton? Or are you using a different volt meter?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: smthlndr

Thanks daddy you helped. I went to my local hobby store today and they think i'm crazy. I told them i could take the battery that reads 6.97 volts ook it up and everything works but the ekevator. I can simply unplug the battery hook up the other one reading 6.49 and everything works elevator and all. I do nothing else move nothing or change anything just simply unplug and plug. Einstein is neede for this one i think because no one seems to know what it is. i'll do like you said and thanks again. I read the manual but i am bad at understanding things as i read it especially volts mah all that battery talk is new to me.

What servos are you using?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:50 PM
smthlndr

I am using a digital volt meter and the triton. I called hobbico, the refered me to spektrum again claiming the receiver is not reading a specific voltge range. I sent it in today. we will see in about 15 to 18 days they say.

grounded till then!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 AM
jetmech05

a digital volt meter that doesn't apply a load to your battery is not giving you accurate info....all it's giving you is the voltage of the battery under no load conditions.....
Old 08-12-2008, 07:40 AM
smthlndr

So if the voltmete reads 6.53 it is not a true reading. that is what the hobby shop done also. Is the triton readig a true reading then. Would you fly a 5,000.00 airplane off of it?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a no load voltage. You have to put it under the conditions of use. Either have a harness with a resistor and use your regular volt meter or a hobby meter that has the resistor built in. Triton just tells you what it charged it to. What you have to figure out is after a charge was it a normal charge and before I fly does it have normal capacity. The triton and the volt meter are just the tools. The Memphis hobby shops might have stuff, but no one at them are flyers so you have to take what they say with a grain of salt.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 PM
smthlndr

Thats true. So what do i need to do with my 2000mah 6volt 5 cell battery at this point. If you could simplify it for me with the triton 2 i would greatly appreciate it. I was told to discharge charge at 1.5 amps. Then how do you tell if it is fully charged and the correct ready then.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:52 PM
jetmech05

OK....a battery that reads say 7 volts without a load is just 7 volts doing nothing..when you apply a load of receiver, and servos the voltage can drop to less than desirable levels quick..many an airplane has been lost due to checking voltage with out appling a load..I use an expanded scale voltmeter.....