Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

help plane nose's over

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

help plane nose's over

Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 PM
poison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help plane nose's over

my hanger 9 spit will not taxi I give it throttel and it goes just bearly and noses over I can't seem to fiqure out why it is doning this I put robart retracts in the plane and its balanced correct any help please
Old 08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: help plane nose's over

Some of my planes need full up elevator when on the ground to keep the tail down. Also sounds like the gear is too far back.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 AM
da Rock

Gear too far back or CG too far forward.

When balanced correctly, they don't tip unless the gear isn't far enough forward. One or the other.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:24 AM
poison

Thats what I was thinking I got a yack and you know it did the same thing and I moved the gear up right well it was not that hard because it a fixed gear. But man this spit going to be a pain because retract, and I am using full elveator on dual and it still does it. The only thing I can think of is to balance it right in the middle or slight tail heavy and try that, because moving the reatracts is going to be a real big job for me I don't want to take on if I can keep from it.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 AM
jetmech05

silly question how easily do the wheels turn and do you have any tow in or out
Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 AM
poison

They turn easy it looks like they tow out a bit so I tryied turning the retract around it seems to help a bit, but when you strat to go it goes a bit and noses over.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the things about an ARF is where they have things set to be mounted so you are stuck with it. On A kit or scratch build I always make sure the axel is just about even with the leading edge to help with the nose over problems with some planes. An ARF is A bit harder to do things with. Sorry. [&o]
Old 08-19-2008, 11:32 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

You might try putting a strip of 1/8" plywood underneath the rearward mounting flang of the retract to cant the gear forward. I had to do this on my H9 P51. That mod helped tremendously along with using a full max up elevator setting set up as high rate on the transmitter. Unless you can get the wheels even or in front of the leading edge of the wing, taxiing is a problem with taildraggers. As GB said, you are limited as to what you can do with an ARF.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Jester241

ORIGINAL: mscic-RCU

You might try putting a strip of 1/8" plywood underneath the rearward mounting flang of the retract to cant the gear forward. I had to do this on my H9 P51. That mod helped tremendously along with using a full max up elevator setting set up as high rate on the transmitter. Unless you can get the wheels even or in front of the leading edge of the wing, taxiing is a problem with taildraggers. As GB said, you are limited as to what you can do with an ARF.

Adding shims under the retracts mount is very common on warbirds and such. I have to shim my P-51's retracts alot and it's still tipsy. It too is a hanger 9......go figure. And what ever you do,dont go adding a buch of tail weight to the plane. Make it balance according to the manuals specs or just very slight nose heavy. Tail heavy planes have VERY sensitive elevators making them very hard to control.....not a good idea for you spit!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:20 PM
hyflyer9

The fix is add a shim under the back side of the retrack mount where it mounts to the wing this will rake the gear forward more without causing any problems with the function of the retrack going up and down I had the same problem with my spit I tried it and it works very good
good luck and hey check out the hanger 9 spitfire build post under the warbirds forum here on this site good luck and fly safe
flyerp39 .
Old 08-19-2008, 07:36 PM
poison

Thanks for the shim idea thats a good idea I never thought of but it makes since. I rebalanced plane make sure its correct I believe it was to nose heavy so if it still does nose over I'll try the shims thanks for the info
Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 PM
da Rock

The suggested CG location has been a very good one for both my Corsair and P47. I'm guessing the CG for the Spit will be the same. But I've still measured my Spit and will run the Geistware CG locator to see how safe an even farther aft CG will do for my Spit. Geistware works, and showed me that I could move both the Corsair and P47 CG aft, and I did. And they both have little noseover tendency.

Taildragger warbirds seldom give you a neat way to move the gear forward, and shimming often leaves the gear out in the breeze when retracted. Choosing a safe aft CG isn't anything like a risky choice at all. And good thing about doing it is you know you're going to have an effective elevator and a more efficient flying model. The dire predictions that suggest doom and death with an aft CG are talking about what happens when you don't take care in the CG locating process.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 PM
poison

Tryied the shims works wounderfull took off and land all 3 times I flew today with no nose overs!!! thanks so much for the help