Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

OS FS 91 is it capable ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OS FS 91 is it capable ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: OS FS 91 is it capable ?

ORIGINAL: root

An OS FS-91 on a 14.5 Lbs plane is definitely pushing it and your flying skills would be "tested" to say the least.
Gee, that would suck actually learning how to FLY instead of powering a plane around the field.

That 91 will fly that plane very well. It would NOT fly an Extra 300 of the same size/weight very well at all, but a Kadet? No problemo.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:14 PM
secret_squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

s_s,

I flew a club members 40 size Rascal with a Saito 56 and it flew with power to spare.

Beware of too much throttle-too fast on take off which will result in annoying ground loops and tricky bumps of rudder correction.

Yours should be a handful at 1/2 throttle.

Good Luck, I hope you have the chops to handle it.

Bob G
I don't think I would fly the 40 size rascal with any other engine after today. full throttle take-off was sweet and easy. Once in the air I could fly it around 1/4 throttle. Full throttle and it was somewhat of a speed demon. Rolls great with full throws. Inverted is a charm and it has decent vertical but not what I expected. Next I want to put a set of floats on it.

I know sometime over-powering is over-kill and it probably is with a 70 on a 40 rascal but I love it.

See ya in the air,
Dan
Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
rcuser002
Banned
My Feedback: (12)

HA!!!!

Good for you squirrel.

What size prop and what rpm readings are you getting?

Bob G aka root
Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 PM
secret_squirrel

HA!!!!

Good for you squirrel.

What size prop and what rpm readings are you getting?

Bob G aka root
I believe it is a 12x8 running at about 9200. I just got the engine on e-bay so I have been running it a bit rich. I am used to Saitos which most people say to prop the engine till you run about 8500-9000 at 300 rpms below the leanest setting. Last night I was looking on the web and noted that the 70 surpass is rated to 12000 rpms. Is this a reasonable rpm for the O.S. or should I be closer to 10,000-11,000 rpms?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 PM
rcuser002
Banned
My Feedback: (12)

squirrel,

12,000 unloaded in the air minus 1000 for static minus another 200 richened is 10,800 in a perfect world:

(the larger diameter props that I personally prefer for torque purposes, as opposed to speed, always spin way below this)

O.S. engine's main man, Bax, is saying in most of his replies that if the engine is rated at 11,000 rpm and it usually unloads about a 1000 rpm in the air, then whatever size or brand prop you use should be giving you 11,000 minus 1000 on the ground (that' 10,000 on the ground or "static") in order to get the most power that the engine has to offer.

Then finally you should richen it (needle turned out-usually) about 200 rpm (so the 10,000 comes down to 9,800 rpm so as not to burn it out by running it too hot.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob G aka root

p.s. Some RC Car and Truck guys use an Infra-Red temperature gauge on the muffler and try for 75 degrees cooler readings then the hottest readings.....again correct me if I'm wrong.