Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Heres a thought....

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Heres a thought....

Old 08-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Jester241

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heres a thought....

So I was sitting here thinking(after a few...) about my next plane and this idea just hit me.......

What about a twin engine type propeller plane that is powered by a single engine mounted in the fuselage that drives the propellers in the wings via a belt drive system similar to the way the tail rotor is driven in a heli or by some other means? There would obviously be pros and cons,but it seems feasible enough. It would eliminate the tuning problem with two engines,make it much simpler,cheaper,more reliable,and make it much lighter and more manueverable. Would this be a cool setup or what!

Could even make cheap 4-prop planes like B-17s affordable and reliable! I'd buy one!

....or maybe I've just had one too many tonight,lol
Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Heres a thought....

Wait till tomorrow and think about it again

Sure, it's possible, but the monkey-motion involved just makes it impractical.

Things like - cooling the engine, keeping belts tight, maintaining belts/gears, etc.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:45 PM
jetmech05

not to mention the bearings to support the prop shafts...if a belt broke I'd bet you be gluing in new balsa sheets
Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

It took the Wright Brothers untill 1911 to figure out that this system sucked

Besides the real real reason most folks who fly multi engine glow RC craft is Part an Parcel 'sound' its as simple as that and you want to take it away[X(] Thats the reason I have done all my twins and Quads and especially my Sixpack. Electric multis are a moot point for that reason and thats why they hold no interest for me.

John