Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

spe ignition module setup

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

spe ignition module setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:10 AM
fleshfeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spe ignition module setup

new to the forum here so ill start by introducing myself. My name is Steve and got into RC because my father is into it and just wanted to do some father son bonding. Well as it ends up this is a disease and its infectious as you all probably know. My other hobbies are performance engineering for most all applications and rc seems to uses engines that most people would never have thought of using so here I am.

second summer of flying and second plane now with 25% great planes extra with SPE 43 engine. But the ignition module setup describes hooking up a ground to the engine but I don't have provisions for this wire anywhere on the ignition module. When trying to start it seems to want to kick once and a while usually backwards and give my fingers a good whack but not get up and running.

I thought about just adding a lead from negative battery but worried about frying something. The manual that came with the engine said nothing about this grounding but cant see how it really would ground without it. poked around the net for the last couple days and every online manual says to ground engine and alot of pics seem to have this incorporated in some way.

anyone else running this engine or have any suggestions
thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Redback

Default RE: spe ignition module setup

I am running an SPE40 without any ground lead to the motor (can't recall anything in the instructions about it). The fact that the engine is firing suggests that the ground lead (or lack of it) is not the problem since the current return path is working.

The SPE was my first gas motor and it took me a full day before I finally got it to run. Like yours it would kick back but that was about all. The way I start mine now is to give it full choke and flip it a couple of times until it fires. Then I take off the choke and usually a couple of flips will get it running.

Another guy at our club had problems with an SPE and had to retard the ignition timing to get it to run, but I would not recommend you try this until trying other options.

Terry
Old 08-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Penuts

Default RE: spe ignition module setup

Steve,
What i did with mine was to solder a wire on to the spark plug shield (A good heave guage) and then put a connector on the other end of it and put it on one of the mounting screws you use to mount the engine to the stand offs.So you end up with a ground from the sparkplug shield to the engine.Im assuming thats what they mean.This will help to adviod any interference from the Igintion system.
But it works for me.We start our 40 size spe with a Heavy Duty starter,useing a battery from a wheel chair,now that works great.
Maybe this will help?
Dick