Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

1/3 scale pitts problems

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

1/3 scale pitts problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 scale pitts problems

hi guys any and all suggestions as to what engine to use to power my greatplanes 1/3scale pitts would be appreciated. my preferance would be a petrol engine but i have heard that a single cylinder petrol of say 45cc or so creates vibration problems for the airframe, any experiences out there would be a great help!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:42 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1/3 scale pitts problems

The 1/3rd scale Pitts is not a very big model. I used to have a Byron's third scale, and it flew well on a Moki 180. Why does everyone want to grossly overpower their models? A 50cc engine on this model would be like putting a Hemi Chrysler in a Crosley. It could be done, but for what reason? Several have built the Pitts Bulldog in third scale, and have used the G-62 and other similar sized engines. As far as I'm concerned, they are still packing too much motor. Just my opinion.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-24-2008, 07:07 PM
bbbair

G'day 1540!

I have a 1/3 scale Christen Eagle - which is basically a Pitts... I have a DA 50 R mounted in it from the previous owner. I was told that if I flew in a strait line with FULL POWER - I would tear the wings off!

So throttle management is a big deal. On the other hand, with that much power you can do anything that you want aerobatically with unlimited vertical - sort of depends how you plan on flying.

As to the vibration, the planes are designed for it as long as you keep the wings on. (no joke!) If you try to tune the engine without the wings on you will get a lot of vibration damage. The wings work to dampen the vibrations.

IF you go with the gas / petrol engine you will get about 30 minutes of flight time to a tank of fuel. With the nitro engine perhaps 10 minutes and nitro fuel is 3-4 times the price of petrol.

Finally; when you tire with the Pitts you will have a GREAT engine to install in that 1/4 scale Extra or CAP.

Happy Landings!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would strongly recommend against using a petrol engine on this airframe.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew mine with a OS 1.60 glow. It flew ok but
there was NO extra power to spare. It forced me
to fly the wing , not the motor.

If you want to rip across the sky and have a strong decent
vertical then I'd suggest not using the 1.6 glow

Regards,
Roby
Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
P51THUNDERBALL

i have a g38 in mine great sunday flyer
Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 PM
reincarnate

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

I would strongly recommend against using a petrol engine on this airframe.

And I would strongly recommend it. Mine flies with a Fuji 50EI, and does so well. Another at our club flies with a Brisson of similar (not sure which one) size and performs fantastic. Why anyone underpowers airplanes, and then watches them drag around the sky without the power to perform is unknown to me, but none of my business. When they make those unwarranted suggestions to others though, I'll object.

When the airframe is large enough, and can be reinforced in the critical areas (within reason) to accept gas, it's a great way to go. Efficient, powerful, and clean.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I flew mine with a Brison 3.2. 52cc gasser. If I was to do it over again I would use a big Moki or Saito. The gassers are too heavy and the firewall to fuselage structure does not handle the combustion impulses well. They will separate over time. The 33% GP Pitts and the 1/3 Byron are for all intents and purposes the same plane. The Byron weighed more though.