Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

stick ve soled tail

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

stick ve soled tail

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:27 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stick ve soled tail

I am scratch building a plane and I not sure on if I should go with a stick tail or solid. I know that there was a lot of tails in that past that was soled. but now it seems that most of the plane are stick. LBS is not going to be a big deal with this plane but I will need a strong tail.

What so you all think

Paul
Old 09-28-2008, 07:56 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: stick ve soled tail

As in all of aviation most design considerations are the result of a number of compromises. An important one for the decision you need to make is the structural density. i.e. do I need to keep the structure light for center of gravity considerations? This is something you need to consider.

John
Old 09-28-2008, 08:44 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What engine do you plan to use and is it large for the size model you're designing or small for it?

Is the fuselage aft of the wing going to be longer than you'd expect to see on that size airplane or shorter?

Are you going to use a 4-cycle instead of a 2-cycle? Do you plan to use a gasoline engine?

If you're designing an electric airplane, do you plan for a larger battery than usual for the model size or smaller?

The design of the fuselage depends on those questions. You design the aft fuselage based pretty much on what's forward. You can make a stick fuselage as strong as necessary and it'll still be easier to keep light if needed. Unless you don't need light. And it's what's up front that decides that.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:46 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what airplane is it? and what engine do you plan to use? and what size will it be?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:34 PM
KI8FR

I am making a twin. I am working on the tail now. I am not sure if I should make it stick or soled. The wing is a copy of the twin star. the fuselage is done and was changed put it was copped off the twin star in lenth. I I have 2 40 on it. I have the wood to make it soled but not for stick. I just wanted to know the diferants from the two and with is beter.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46610.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1042547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35519.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1042548  
Old 09-29-2008, 07:37 AM
KI8FR

I forgot to put in that on the pic # two that is a tail off of a cub. I was going to use that one but changed my mind. If I would use that tail I would have to make a tail for my cub same day when I ever neet to finish that cub. (I have 4 cubs flying now) So I got the idea to make a tail.

Paul
Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with a solid tail. It doesn't make much difference, and since you already have the wood, go for it.