Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

help finding RC plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

help finding RC plane?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:11 PM
RCgirlfriend0516

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help finding RC plane?

i know nothing about rc planes. i'm on here cause i'm looking for someone to help tell me what a good rc plane is. my boyfriend used to be into them big time and he wants to get back into them. so i wanted to surprise him for christmas by getting him a good one. (he wasn't able to bring his planes when he moved) i can only spend about $200 maybe a lil more.
he would have just as much fun building it as he would flying it.
so what are planes you would recommend and why?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: help finding RC plane?

We'd love to help, but we need a little more info. There are a LOT of different aspects to this hobby. Was your boyfriend a beginner? And advanced flier?

Does he like Biplanes (Two wings - one on top and and one on bottom)

Aerobatics?

Scale?

Try this, ask him a few questions like "What planes did you like best?" were they electric or gasoline powered? (Actually, most planes are what we call "Glow" powered which burns an alcohol based fuel, but if you say that, you'll be giving yourself away, but be prepared for that answer from him)

and finally, what size was the engine?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:42 PM
bencav84

Dont forget to ask him how big it was and what color, noooooooobody wants a pink plane....oh hold on, someone on here covered a plane barbie style, maybee they doo then
Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 AM
BillyGoat

One thing that is pretty much a constant among modelers, we like to take pictures of our "babies". If you could secretly borrow a picture or two of planes he has owned and post them here, that would give us volumes of info. Then not only could we tell you a good plane/kit to buy but the best place to get it.

Hope he realizes what a terrific girlfriend you are!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to the local hobby shop or someplace like www.towerhobbies.com and get a gift certificate. That way you don't run the risk of getting something he won't like.

My wife also surprised me with a plane once. She knew which one I wanted it because the the web browser history folder showed that I was looking at it every night.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:52 PM
r2champion

Let's all give this girl a well deserved STANDING OVATION!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:08 PM
bencav84

r2champion, dont we all wish we had other halves like that?? Mine complains about the big 'ornaments' I like to leave in the lounge, kitchen, bedroom,......
Old 10-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I think the proper term here is a 'keeper'

His experience is probably the most important thing. If I had a girlfriend who bought me a plane, I think I'd be psyched no matter what it was (as long as it wasn't a trainer) - the thought definitely counts, and its nice to be surprised, and maybe even have fun with a plane you didn't think you'd want.

If you were my girlfriend, I'd want you to get me the plane that you would want me to have.