Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

cleaning an engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

cleaning an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 01:34 AM
Steve_JR
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning an engine?

I want to do that antifrezz bath method but I don't have a good resource on it. Could someone give me instructions??? -Steve
Old 03-19-2002, 03:42 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Homebrewer

Get an old crockpot, fill it with a mixture of antifreeze and water. I prefer 60% antifreeze, 40% water. Add ingredients-engine-and seasonings to taste (just kidding), simmer on heat for several hours or until castor crud is loosened.

Do this outside for fume relief. Typical antifreeze is toxic if ingested and make sure you take necessary precautions to protect small children and animals.

Once you are done cooking your engine and it is cleaned up, make sure you do your best to dry engine out completely and apply a light oil to prevent rust. I normally like to bath my engines in a hot solution of water and Cascade dishwashing solution after boiling them in antifreeze. After doing this, I then dry them out with a blowdryer/paper towels and apply oil.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:48 AM
PAllen
My Feedback: (10)

I agree with Homebrewer on the Antifreeze method. It sure cleans engines up nicely. While it was not mentioned, be sure to take the engines apart to allow for a through cleaning. I also use the dishwashing soap and water...fairly hot to wash off the residue from the Antifreeze.

One more word of caution....DO NOT USE THE HOUSEHOLD CROCK POT FOR THIS.....buy a new one or get busy at the yard sales...Antifreeze is TOXIC thus you never want to use anything from the kitchen with the idea of taking it back in for the wife to use. Just spring for the tongs, spoons etc yourself.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Steve_JR
My Feedback: (6)

what oil do you use? -Steve
Old 03-20-2002, 05:11 AM
PAllen
My Feedback: (10)

Steve,

I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil for years. It is available from Wal-Mart or any good auto supply store. It is red and has a distinctive smell. It has been around for years and is good stuff. Another good oil is any good AIR TOOL oil which you may have to do a little searching for this item. Any shop that deals with air tools should have it. Hope this helps.

I use the above oil exclusively for my after-run oil to protect ball bearings. If your engine does not have ball bearings, it is still good to protect the crankshaft from rusting. I always run my engine dry of any fuel residue, then I usually fill the carb up twice, I hand crank both loads into the engine after which I spin it for a second or two with my electric starter to distribute the oil.

Paul
Old 03-25-2002, 04:10 AM
O'RON JOHNSON

Default engine froze

I HOPE IM NOT OUT IN LEFT FIELD MARVEL OIL IS A GREAT IDEA IVE USED IT FOR YEARS THE ANTI FREEZE THING SOUNDS GOOD BUT THE PRINCAPAL
INGREDIENT IS A HIGH PERCENTAGE ALCOHOL IVE USED SMALL AMOUNTS OF HEAT AND RUBBING ALCOHOL JUST ABOUT ANY HOUSEHOLD SPRAY CLEANER
SPRAY HEAD WILL FIT THE ISOPROPYL BOTTLE AT WALLY WORLD FOR LESS THAN A BUCK AND NOT NEARLY AS MESSY AND WEIRD AS ANTI FREEZE HOWEVER I AM GOING TO TRY IT I USE CASTOR IN MY ENGINES SO YOU KNOW HOW CRAPPY THEY CAN GET THANKS FOR THE INFO ANY WAY
Old 03-26-2002, 01:04 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

I also use the anti-freeze/crockpot method. I leave my engine in overnight on low heat. I've heard high heat will discolor the aluminum. Disassemble the engine as far as your comfortable doing, minimum, remove backplate, carb, and glow plug. Use an old toothbrush to loosen any crud left when you pull it out of the anti-freeze. I use air tool oil to lubricate after rinsing and drying the engine. I use Marvel Mystery oil as a after run oil, but if you store an engine with it, it will coagulate, making it difficult to turn over.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:35 AM
Emissions

Just through it into carborator cleaner