Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 Please help out one arm club member >

Please help out one arm club member

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Please help out one arm club member

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Please help out one arm club member

We had no problems with keeping the buddy box facility working.

The pupil had most difficulty with the rudder and we finished up with a set up where we slaved rudder to ailerons and he ground steers with the aileron stick.

I also know of a disabled german flyer who used a foot throttle and rudder set up with elevator and aileron on the stick.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also build a stand that lets him use his feet for the throttle and rudder. The big challenge will be to get him flying with his other hand and once that has been mastered, add in the other controls. I had a friend that was a paralized from the neck down with a very limited use of one hand. As stated, invention becomes necessity if the desire is there both on his part as well as yours. I spent many months working with Buz, he soled and even thought he was in a wheel chair, he now had something to look forward to. Buz passed away about 9 months after his solo and to this day I cherish the friendship that he and I had and the success that we had to get him flying. I flew the plane that he completed before his passing this mourning. In the cockpit is a red led that was for an on board ignition system, that never worked very well. Instead of pulling out the led and leaving a huge hole, I left it in there and during most flights, I will fly the plane past me and the led appears to be lit. I know Buz is watching. You will need to work with him and find out what is going to be comfortable for him and then let the creative juices flow. Never give up as the rewards are to great. Feel free to email me if I can help in any way to keep your friend in the hobby that he loves so much. Dave
Old 12-06-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]Gentlemen, I just read the whole thread and it really made me feel proud to just be a fellow rc pilot because of the compassion you show for "one of our own". i Also remember years ago of an article about a group who created a chair mounted on a cruciform stucture which prmitted the occupant vai a joystick and rudder peddals to fly an rc airplane. I commend all of you with your wishes and encouragement that you show "FOR ONE OF OUR OWN" navee8or
Old 12-06-2008, 11:56 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like wise feel free to email me and my ex student with only one leg and one working arm would almost certainly be willing to to talk him via email if he come across problems.

CLICK HERE TO SEE [link=http://www.ldmas.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99:20 07-extravaganza&catid=44:events&Itemid=56]The P 40 he built from a Pica kit[/link]