Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ideas Needed for Travel With RC Equipment on Comercial Ariline

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ideas Needed for Travel With RC Equipment on Comercial Ariline

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:58 PM
TheHobbyGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas Needed for Travel With RC Equipment on Comercial Ariline

Hi All,
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I wanted I need to find out any tips, suggestions, or things to AVOID when traveling on commercial airline with RC equipment and airplanes. I am headed to the Philippines for several weeks and I would like to take a foamy or two. Actually I am planning on taking my Unicorn Wing. Everything will be packed and checked (no carry on) and I was curious if anyone has any experience. My main concern is the Lipo Batteries. I will store them safely and in a Lipo sack, but with all the security measure now, I would hate to find out when I arrive that they ripped my box apart or something.

Any ideas and help greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Ram Jet

Default RE: Ideas Needed for Travel With RC Equipment on Comercial Ariline

Travel light, build some crates, ship your models. You probably couldn't get any of your plane stuff through Customs. Take a video about R/C planes with you and leave your models home..

Bill
Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have not flown with my planes, but I have brought my Tx with me and a sim to keep me busy. The TSA asked that I show them the TX, but they were cool with it. This was leaving MSP, but coming back from MCO, they didn't blink an eye. The TSA does have a size limit on the number of Mah of a Lipo or any Lithium based battery, but not sure if it is checked baggage or just carry-on. I think it is no larger than 5300Mah. This was in response to the Dell computer batteries that were catching fire.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Curtis
Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 AM
TheHobbyGuy

Cool! Thanks! That was the thought I had about the Lipo - just wanted to be sure. Ther TX is a good point too - I guess they just need to be sure. All of it will be checked anyway.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Ed Smith

To make things a little easier stick a photograph of the models on the outside of the box. This has served me well in the past.

Ed S
Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 PM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose not to check my TX, so I could make sure that it wasn't damaged. Also, if the TSA had problems with it when I was away from home, I would have FedExed it back to my house. Better than finding the thing dinged up from some luggage handler dropping it off of a cart.
Curtis
Old 12-10-2008, 05:54 AM
RevGQ

As a fellow modeler, and member of TSA, I would suggest that you have batteries in protective bag and carry them on. I would also suggest that you carry documentation for the lipo bag, which will show Check Point Supervisor that the dangers associated with your batteries have more to do with charging/discharging of lipos. It would not hurt to have your airline ticket agent made aware prior to check-in, as the airline may have restrictions that are different from those of TSA.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:18 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I fly 6+ times a month on airlines and have brought planes along. My little bipe comes completly apart and packs flat. I put it, 2 lipos, the charger and TX in a cardboard box that will fit in the overhead bin. I have had very few TSA guys even ask what is in the box. From talking with them, a model plane is pretty mundane compared with the stuff some people bring along.
Ben