Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flight Packs

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 AM
GTMUSTANGCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight Packs

Hi, I have a Futaba FP-6NFK radio system used for my Pilot QB 40S. I am working on a Supersportster 40 as a second plane. I have been researching flight packs for the Supersportster and have found that I could purchase a complete 4 channel radio system for a few dollars more than a flight pack. Please explain why rc modelers purchase flight packs other than the reason that you have a nice, muli- model memory Tx. Thanks so much. Joe
Old 12-16-2008, 12:32 AM
carrellh

Default RE: Flight Packs

Sometimes the flight pack has different servos than what you get with a 4 channel radio system. Also, if you have a multi model memory transmitter, how many spare 4 channel units do you want to have on the shelf? One gets you a buddy box, extra wall wart charger, and potentially a spare transmiter battery pack.

I have bought 'customizable' Hitec flight packs through http://www.servocity.com because they allow you to choose the receiver and servos. They also have customizable Futaba flight packs with Futaba or Hitec servos.

Most of the time the price is slightly better than buying individual parts, and shipping is free if you spend $100. Like any purchase, though, be sure to check multiple sources.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a half dozen four channel transmitters setting around unused for that very reason
Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 AM
GTMUSTANGCS

Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you start getting into more advanced planes you'll find that your servo requirements change. I generally buy servos based on the specific needs of the plane and if I don't have a spare receiver laying around, I'll go ahead and buy one.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:20 AM
GTMUSTANGCS

What receivers are compatable w/my system? Will a Futuba Rx with a Futuba crystal transmit to a Tx and crystal of a different brand?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:32 AM
jetmech05

I use a Futaba Txmiter with Hitech rciver in a couple of aircraft no probs....using different make servos than the make of the reciver may require modifcation to the plug on the servo
Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: GTMUSTANGCS

What receivers are compatable w/my system? Will a Futuba Rx with a Futuba crystal transmit to a Tx and crystal of a different brand?
Futaba is negative shift FM (PPM), so as long as you buy a negative shift or "Futaba" version of a receiver, you will be fine. In general, Hitec equipment is negative shift, although they do make some positive shift and shift selectable receivers. In general, JR and Airtronics is positive shift, but JR does make some shift selectable receivers. The receivers that are shift selectable or auto-shift can be used with Futaba or any other major brand of FM/PPM transmitter. (I'm specifying FM/PPM here, since another type of FM, called PCM, is proprietary within each brand and you can't mix RX/TX brands).

Buy receiver crystals that are of the same brand as your receiver, don't mix those. Also be sure to get the proper crystal for your particular receiver within that brand. Many brands make single and dual conversion receivers, and they have different crystals required for each. The Tower website typically links you to the proper crystal on the receiver pages.

All of todays servos have the same pin ordering on the plugs. If you want to use Futaba servos with another brand of receiver, you may have to cut the tab off of the side of the plug. This is very easy, I use flush cut wire cutters, but you can just use an exacto knife to trim it off.