Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

First Gas Airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

First Gas Airplane

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Borealnw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Gas Airplane

Hey all I have a brand new SPE 40 and would like to find a well made plane that will do both IMAC and 3D. I wasted $429.00 on a GP yak54 thinking it would but after reading the forum thread. [&o] I am dissapointed that I did not read the thread first. So instead of pocking in the dark for hours I thought maybe I would reach out to you folks to get some advise on which plane is best suited for the engine and the task.

I am not accomplished in 3D but practicing everyday on sims. I would like to see my self doing (yeah yeah someday) doing High alpha, torque rolls,rolling harriers and such.

Thanks in advance your wisdom is appreciated.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: First Gas Airplane

If it were me, I'd get something like [link=http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=308]this.[/link]
Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 PM
masonman

Hanger 9 27% Extra 260. Lots of folks put 50cc on them, but they are more of a 40-45cc model. I have one with a Fox 40 an it is great. Do anything you want with it. I would never put a 50 on it.....Great plane for pattern aswell
Old 12-28-2008, 03:08 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gaRCfield, I just bought an Aeroworks Extra 260 35cc size and and spe43 to go in her.

I just LOVE this plane. That picture doesn't do it justice. Up close she is a beauty.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Borealnw

Thanks so much for the great advise on this venture. I am looking at the Aero-works 260 and the 330. They look to be very nice planes. I have a question on the hanger-9 27%. The recomended engine is the 50cc. I am wondering if the SPE 40cc will be enough to pull it out of high alpha's and hoover.

I also wonder if I am missing something with the GP yak 54. Are there folks out there running a 40cc engine in this plane that are happy with it? I know about the CG and langing gear issues. but is this plane worth building or should I take it back to the vendor?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:59 AM
jetmech05

look at the engine issue like this..50 CC is equal to a 300 2 stroke glow engine...a 40 CC is equal to a 240 2 stroke glow...you need power to pull out of the hover....
I am not familiar at all with the plane you're talking about...good luck
Old 12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Jetdesign

The recommended engine for the Yak is 32-43cc (gas). You have the plane, you have an engine in the upper range of the recommended size, why not just use it? Lots of planes have issues with the landing gear block, and often the CG is mislabeled (not sure what you read about). Put some epoxy on the LG block, find a good CG in the forum, and fly the plane Since you are not a 3D pro yet, I'm guessing you won't be doing any hovering a foot off the deck - so you shouldn't need a rocket pull out if you have altitude.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Jester241

I dont know Garfield(I always say it like that,lol).........I think the stock requirments on that yak are REALLY on the light side. I have a 77" goldberg yak that I had a 41 gasser that weighed in at around 15lbs and it flew,but wouldnt come close to 3d really. It was actually underpowered for even regular flying kinda. His would be a bit light because still had the flywheel/magneto setup,but not by much. I now have a 58cc homelite converted engine in it weighing around 18lbs. Yeah,its heavy but I can take some weight out when I get around to it. It now has good power and will do some mild 3d like knife edges and stuff,but Its not overpowered for 3d. I only have about 2 flights now with this new motor,but I'd say it might hover but if it does....it wouldnt be by much.

So anyway.....I dont think that 81" yak is gonna fly well at all with anything less then a good 50cc on a light airframe if your looking at 3d. I cant believe they would even recommend a 32-43cc engine.....32 especially. It might take off and fly,but not by much. I could be wrong here though. Heck I even had a 1.20 2-stoke in my 77" yak and it took off and flew...but it was HAIRY.Weighed in at 12lbs with that engine.

I think even that extra you mentioned is a bit large for that engine when considering even mild 3d. And again, I could be wrong though.......Nice freakin plane though.

I'm thinking around a 72-73" 3d plane If you plan on doing decent 3D. Hard to find them though with cowls big enough for gas engines,but their out there. You could always(and this might be good advice) to put the 40 in your big yak and fly it a few times to get the feel for it if you are sure it will fly safely and your flying field is big enough to accomodate and underpowered(if it is) plane. You'll get an idea of its power by holding onto it and taxing it. You never know,I might be underestimating your 40 and it might be a good ma

Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Jetdesign

So much for listening to manufacturer's suggestions[&o]
Old 12-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Jester241

I think alot of manufactures suggestions are sometimes on the smaller side because its easier to sell them if people think they can buy a cheaper motor for them. I just checked the manufacture requirements for my yak and they said 1.20-2.20 2-stroke. And like I said.....I did put in a 1.20 and didnt have much added weight items at all,and it honestly BARELY left the ground from our paved runway after a LOOOONG roll. Took awhile to gain alt and turns had to be made slow with good form,well everything had to be made with good form,lol. I got it loop here and there,but you had to get alot of alt and dive,then loop. Yeah.....never put in the lower end of a manufactures requirement is what I've learned,lol. Perhaps it would have flown better with an exceptionally powerful 1.20(mine was a used GMS),but you cant always count on a better then average engine.