Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

charging batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

charging batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 AM
EAD78
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging batteries

I was wondering about charge time on Nicad and Nimh batteries, I understand that overcharging will damage batteries.
When you charge over night and then can't fly the next day, how do you know how much charge to add the next time you
decide to fly? All I have is the wall charger that came with the radio. It could be a couple days or even a week before flying
again and I don't want to damage the batteries by overcharging.
Thanks in advance for any and all help
Old 01-03-2009, 11:49 AM
KW_Counter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: charging batteries

Ead78,
The wall charger probably charges at 1/10 (C/10) the rated pack.
This is a slow charge and usually won't damage the battery.
For safety don't leave it on forever.
I usually plug it in the day before going flying.

Start looking for a peak charger which will sense when the charge is complete and turn itself off.
I personally use and like the Triton II charger from Great Planes.
There are many available at lower prices.
Continue to charge at the C/10 rate whenever you can.

Also, check out the Battery forum here on RC Universe, lots of great info and advice.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 01-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: charging batteries

You are perfectly safe with the wall wart as your charger, in fact your batteries will last much longer if that is the only charger you use as it is very gentle on your batteries. If you are using NiCads (NiMh are not quite as immune to improper maintanance) you can safely forget and leave the wall wart on for long periods without damage. Always charge overnight before flying using the wall wart, even if you charged last week and then never used your system. The only reason for putting out that extra money for a fast charger (or any charger other than what came with your system) is if you plan to fly more flights per day than most people do. Do check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com as advised above. That is a very good site with accurate information.