Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Decalage?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:38 PM
eric_f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decalage?

Hi all, I'm getting back into r/c after a 10 year break. I picked up a used trainer to knock off the rust and took it for a few flights. I'm glad I didn't crash it, the first flight was a heart pounder, but it was great to be on the sticks again As I was taking it home, I broke a piece of balsa block and I didn't know where from. I didn't think anything of it until I took it up again and it flew very sluggishly on everything but down elevator and seemed to come in really fast for landings, yet when power was applied it climbed like mad. I was wondering why the inside had a light coat of oil when i bought it, but then I realized that the balsa was supporting the front of the wing and a lil smoke was gettin in there. I looked at the wing's bottom surface angle in relation to the tail and it looked like the wing was tilted forward about 5 degrees or more! I discarded the block that day and am now wondering what I should have the wing at in relation to the tail. The tail is glued in place at -2 degrees from the fuse line so all I can do is reposition the le/te of the wing. Common sense says to make them parallel, but what do y'all think?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Decalage?

If it is a flat bottom wing I would make the wing 0 degrees on the bottom edge. That would give you about an actual +6 and that's where a flat bottom wing likes to fly.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 PM
eric_f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Decalage?

Yes, it is a flat-bottom wing. Thanks for the reply!