Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tower radio and gold sticker in general

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tower radio and gold sticker in general

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 AM
copperraven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower radio and gold sticker in general

I have a Tower 3000 radio that was given to me. The Rx has 'narrow band' and '91' on it. There is nothing on the radio. I do not see any gold sticker. I was told the radio is 4-5 years old and the batteries are still good so I believe them. Is this radio legal to use even though it does not have a gold sticker? Tower Hobbies said they have no records on the radio and say no.

My radios from JR that I bought and know are good do not have gold stickers. During what years were gold stickers used?

Thanks
Jeff

If I'm in the wrong forum please move me or advise me.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Tower radio and gold sticker in general

I am not certain of the exact date however I think the Gold Sticker Program started in 1991. If your transmitter is only 4 or 5 years old, it should be okay to use. The newer radios do not have Gold Stickers on them as they were built to meet the requirements of the Gold Sticker. You would need to be certain of it's age to be on the safe side. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-01-2009, 02:52 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tower radio and gold sticker in general

After 1991 all radios on 72 MHZ are narrow band on the "new" freqs. The sticker was mainly for old radios updated and first coulple of years to keep confusion down. you could still fly the older non narrow radios on selected new freqs. up until 1998 but at the field you had to pull down the pins on each side of yours so you took up 3 frequencies instead of one to keep from shooting someone down.