Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 pacemakers and rc >

pacemakers and rc

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

pacemakers and rc

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: pacemakers and rc

Wow! This has been a very informative thread!

Not only did I learn a lot of good information about pacemakers/defibrillators, I also learned that when a serious subject is at hand, some folks just can't stop acting like class clowns or offering advice on a subject that they have absolutely NO knowledge of (even if their wrong advice could lead to someone's death!)

(Sigh) I guess some things never change!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:58 AM

I've had a Medtronics ICD for 2/3 of a year now, and without ill effects, have ran my HPI Savage XL quite a bit; first with the included 27mhz transmitter then with a 2.4 ghz Spektrum transmitter.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 PM

I must admit, this is a very interesting thread. I also enjoyed the class clowns' remarks, excellent.

Don't take life too seriously as it all ends up in death anyway....

Maybe I should join the gym asap as well.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've drawn a conclusion talking to different people with pacemakers/defibrillators.

There are many different kinds of heart problems that may require a pacemaker/defibrillator.

Just because one of my friends also has a pacemaker type device does not make them exactly like me as far a responses go.

Each person is an individual case.

The sensitivity of the device to triggering defibrillation is highly likely different among individuals depending on their condition

I've stayed away from under car hoods with the engine running and I no longer work around extreme electrical energy devices as I once did.

I'm a ham radio guy and I haven't run my high powered radios either

But I have run chain saws, weed whackers, lawn mowers, and model airplanes without any trouble. Your response may be different.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As a tech rep, I attended and gave tech advice in the O.R. or Cath lab when these devices were implanted. One of the required steps is a full-up test to make sure the thing will work.

What this mainly involves is purposely making the patient's heart stop or fibrillate, and firing the device to see if it will do what it's supposed to do. Nothing funny about that. Even thinking about it now, gives me butterflies.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
My Feedback: (32)

My friend is very dissapointed because the medicalpeople that advise him told him he can no longer fly rc because it may affect his difibrulator. Portable house phones are on 2.4 ghz as are our transmitters. Would you have any informarion contrary to the advise given to him. He is so upset! Are there any rc flyers out there with defibrulatiors that still fly their airplanes???

Any info would be appreciated.

Rockin'Daddy
Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 PM
My Feedback: (264)

From what I understand our tranmitters onlt have a power output of 3/4 of a watt or so, I can't imagine such low output causing problems like that. Contact the company that made the pacemaker, I'll bet they say it's okay to use a R/C transmitter.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:50 AM

why are we adding to a thread that is almost 3 years old?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 AM

I've been flying continuously before and after my defibrillator installation in 2006. I have flown both FM and 2.4 systems and never noticed any problems.

I also have a collection of over 20 chainsaws and also 13 gasoline model engines. I never had any episodes from using any of them but I do run resistor or shielded plugs in all of them including the chainsaws.

I don't look under car hoods with the engine running though.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:17 AM

Dear JetMech:
Sorry to have offended you. My friend acted like an industrial accident cut off both hands so he could no longer fly rc. I just needed some information for him. To bad it is an old thread on an old question.

Perhaps there is a reasonable, knowledgeable person out there in ciberspace that could answer a question.

Rockin'Daddy
Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 AM

You didn't offend me in any way...just seems like we're beating a dead horse
Old 10-13-2011, 06:53 PM

I suppose if a person doesn't want to read this then they should find a different thread with a different title; and I didn't see any time limit on replies that might appease some.

Anyway, I don't mind adding a little more, I have the Spectrum dx3 and dx6i and now the JR x9503; all of which are 2.4ghz and present no problem to my Medtronics ICD.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:20 PM

Dear Wardster:

I have been letting my old friend read some of these threads on transmitterRF energy and the possibility of disrupting his defib unit. He is a bit excited as the medical folks told him not to fly anymore since having the unit implanted. Perhaps the med tech folks are giving him"cover your ass" advise. These positive threads are giving him some hope of getting a plane or two back in the air.

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards,

Rockin'Daddy
Old 10-13-2011, 07:27 PM

My Defibrillator/pacemaker is a Medtronics. In fact I have had two of them. Never any problem.

Another moderator on here has a St Jude defibrillator/pacemaker for 4 years and he flies R/C all the time also and has never had a problem as a result of using the transmitter.

I even have some chainsaws that run 14,000 rpm and they do not trip the defibrillator.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:55 PM

i have a pacemaker and defibulator and have no problems with 72 mhz. i am also a welder and with a few precautions it is perfectly safe. i had to make a copper mesh sheild to cover over my unit. i was in at the device clinic on tuesday and there were no recorded om the device and i weld for a living five days a week arc on about five hours each day with no issues. i also weld at upwards of 200 amps from a tig welder every day. so if i am not having issues with that for a job with a pacer there sould not be any problems with flying rc.