Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

O.S. four stroke prices

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

O.S. four stroke prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. four stroke prices

What's up with the high prices for O.S. four strokes? They want $70.00 more for a 56 than Saito and frankly (I own both brands) I favor the Saito engines in my arsenal.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:32 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: O.S. four stroke prices

Now you know which brand to buy?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I was in Champaign last weekend covering E-Fest for RCU and I had a chance to chat with Don Anderson, president of Great Planes and VP for Hobbico. I asked him about the price increase for OS engines. According to Don the increase in cost for these engines is almost completely due to exhange rates right now. So the prices aren't likely to come down until the economy calms down.

Ken
Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Don41

What's up with the high prices for O.S. four strokes? They want $70.00 more for a 56 than Saito and frankly (I own both brands) I favor the Saito engines in my arsenal.
I own both brands of engine. I own more OS engines that Saito. It's not by accident either. I expect to pay more for a higher quality product than for a product with a lower quality level. Saito engines are a good engine for most models, but when it absolutely, positively has to be on the money, make mine OS.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Don41

Wait until this economic stimulus package hits the streets. In the past 45 days the price of the Enya 1.55 4C has increased 7% or $43.00. Will it increase 57% or $352.00 for the period 12/08 to 12/09? Buy your lusted after toys today my man. It's not greedy manufacturers it the exchange rate. "I seen the enemy and I think it's me."

Bill
Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 PM
w8ye

The original poster had reference to four strokes

There are three to one Saito versus OS four strokes out in the field by taking physical counts on Ebay and the RCU market place.

I have 23 Saito engines and 8 OS four strokes

OS can do what ever they want. Saito has me covered
Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

YS and OS have a big share of my money. I really do see more Saitos at the fields these days then OS. I have never noticed a lot of difference between the OS and Saitos one way or another. If I needed another four stroke I would go straight to the local YS store these days without giving it a second thought. My pockets are empty and I don't need another new engine, that's maybe a good thing? With the prices as they are and going up all the time it's a big plus for gas engines and I have been drifting back to them this last year.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Don41

Hmmm. Since I know full well that Saito is vastly superior to O.S. [just teasing you Stickbuilder] and on the chance that Saito will also increase their prices, I probably should go ahead and order that Saito56 for $229.00.

That will make my third engine in that bore range so I really don't need another. But then again, like I always tell my wife, what does "need" have to do with it? (:-)

Regards
Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 PM
w8ye

The Saitos have gone up also but not like the OS engines did.

The Saito 56 was $195

If you are going out to buy one, get the 62. it is an improvement over the 56 with bigger valves and a larger rear bearing same external size
Old 02-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Now you know which brand to buy?

Should we expect foreign companies to operate at a loss because we can not manage our own American economic affairs? "When the U.S. catches a financial cold, Japan comes down with pneumonia."

Bill
Old 02-15-2009, 11:30 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing too is that OS has been revamping their product line with new 2 and 4 strokes and I bet the cost is higher with new tooling and lower total volume because they dont think they will sell the volumes like before because of the new electrics, so they are trying to get the money out of the designs. Saito has pretty much standardized their designs for a while, so without change they dont need to raise the prices as much. If Saito redid their line, their prices would beat OS; they just know it is not the time to change. With the 3D market, Saito has pretty much run away with that market without having to try; Saito did not have to chase the market it chased Saito, and to most new people today want to 3D and Saito rules there.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:33 PM
w8ye

Yes, I like that statement "SAITO RULES"
Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I was in Champaign last weekend covering E-Fest for RCU and I had a chance to chat with Don Anderson, president of Great Planes and VP for Hobbico. I asked him about the price increase for OS engines. According to Don the increase in cost for these engines is almost completely due to exhange rates right now. So the prices aren't likely to come down until the economy calms down.

Excactly. OS prices are among the first to increase because they are moving more product through the supply chain faster than say Saito etc. The others are right behind. You ARF and ARC fellows better move quickly while product is on the warehouse shelves at yesterday's prices.

Oh yeah baby, CHANGE gonna come.

Bill

Ken
Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Ram Jet

The original poster had reference to four strokes

There are three to one Saito versus OS four strokes out in the field by taking physical counts on Ebay and the RCU market place.

I have 23 Saito engines and 8 OS four strokes

OS can do what ever they want. Saito has me covered

Well, w8 I THOUGHT you were smart but now I KNOW it!

Bill
Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: TFF

One thing too is that OS has been revamping their product line with new 2 and 4 strokes and I bet the cost is higher with new tooling and lower total volume because they dont think they will sell the volumes like before because of the new electrics, so they are trying to get the money out of the designs. Saito has pretty much standardized their designs for a while, so without change they dont need to raise the prices as much. If Saito redid their line, their prices would beat OS; they just know it is not the time to change. With the 3D market, Saito has pretty much run away with that market without having to try; Saito did not have to chase the market it chased Saito, and to most new people today want to 3D and Saito rules there.
The cream rises to the top.

Bill
Old 02-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Ram Jet

Yes, I like that statement "SAITO RULES"

Cut it the heck OUT! I have quite enough on my "Wanna Buy" list already.

Bill
Old 02-16-2009, 02:19 AM
Don41

The Saitos have gone up also but not like the OS engines did.

The Saito 56 was $195

If you are going out to buy one, get the 62. it is an improvement over the 56 with bigger valves and a larger rear bearing same external size
I saw that but I'm a little concerned about the switch from 56 simply because the 56 is the best behaved engine in my hangar. Probably an unfounded fear though.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 AM
w8ye

I have three 56's and they are my favorite engine

My favorite plane is a H9 Ultra Stick 40 with a Saito 56, Turbo muffler, APC 13-4 prop, maximum rates.

It is good in the wind, can be very mild mannered, and will do the wildest maneuvers