Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cycle NIMI battery packs

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cycle NIMI battery packs

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 PM
GregT882762

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cycle NIMI battery packs

Are you supposed to cycle NImi battey packs,and if so at what rrate,im sure triton 2 has it built in
Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cycle NIMI battery packs

Regular cycling is not generally needed on NimH although I often do it on brand new batteries and once a year or so on older batteries to get an idea of their health.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:29 PM
sticktickler

ORIGINAL: GregT882762

Are you supposed to cycle NImi battey packs,and if so at what rrate,im sure triton 2 has it built in
Conditioning new NiMH cells and packs
This is often overlooked but most cells, particularly NiMH, will perform best if they are conditioned properly before using them, especially in high discharge-current situations. The initial conditioning of new cells is typically done at the factory today and is called "forming" or the "formation" step. But, these cells can sit for months before being used and will need to be properly conditioned to bring their capacity and voltage under load back up to their rated values. This conditioning causes microscopic changes in the electrodes and electrolyte and helps them to work as efficiently as possible.
If the cells were stored charged (not recommended as this encourages voltage depression, higher internal resistance and loss of capacity), then discharge them first (at a 1C rate or less) to 0.9V/cell using a pack or tray discharger.
Charge them slowly, at a rate about 1/10 of the capacity of the cell (1/10C.). For example, use a 300mA charge for 3000mAH cells. Let them cool.
Discharge at about a 1C rate (e.g., about 3A for 3AH cells) and let the pack cool. We recommend the use of a pack discharger with a known load and known cutoff voltage so you can track the performance of your packs as they become conditioned.
Repeat this charge/discharge cycle 2-3 times, being sure the cells are cool before continuing any the steps. But, at this low rate they'll probably only be a bit warm.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:53 PM
GregT882762

so what about packs 6 months old no cycle/
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
ChuckW

No real need to do it except to verify they are still holding up and close to their original capacity.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I buy new packs I always cycle them, it seems to take about four times for the new pack to get up to it's peak and take a full charge. After that about once a year to check there condition.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
sticktickler

Other than perhaps two or three cycles with a new pack (needed more so in the early days of development) I would say no. You do not need to cycle NiMH packs to increase the pack capacity like we do with NiCad packs. The real point of cycling a pack is in fact to determine its capacity level for use. Knowing this useful data is never bad with any pack.
If you are concerned with the care of your NiMH pack and its longevity then at all cost avoid heat during charging. Heat is the by far the worst thing for the life span of a NiMH pack. KEEP THEM COOL and they will last a good long time.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
KW_Counter

Greg,
The forming charge is better done with a walwart than your Triton.
The forming should be C/10 for 16 hours.
The Triton, being a peak detector, will shut of early.
I have used the Triton and it has taken as many as 10 cycles to get the unit up to specs.
Good Lick,
KW_Counter
Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 AM
ChuckW

I just bought a new Hobbico Hydrimax 5-cell, 2000mAh pack. I charged it on my Accucycle elite at 200mA. Then I cycled it and the result was 2180mAh. That tells me the pack is good. I'll cycle it again after a few flights to see if it did OK. If it did then I likely won't cycle it again until next year just to get an idea of condition.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chuck, I also just bought the Hydramax 6v 2000 and it took 4 cycles before it peaked. I'm using my Surecycle on it.
Gene
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
ChuckW

Yah, I'm in no hurry to install it so I may on cycle it a few more times just for the heck of it.