Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Washington State RC

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Washington State RC

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washington State RC

Just wondering if there was anyone from the state of Washington around to comment on what the flying season is like there. I'm really interested in relocating to Seattle and am curious how much flying time I'd get. Everyone talks about rain but I'm wondering if it's really that bad. The season here is May->November.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:37 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Washington State RC

I am in southern WA, and while we do get our share of rain, I also get in my share of flying. During the winter months, we get a lot of clear days with sunshine, just cold. Nothing a few jackets won't fix. This weekend we are supposed to get to 70. If it does it will be the first time this year. This winter has been a screwy one for us, much like the rest of the US. We had record setting snow fall, but the good news is that in a couple of days, it is all gone. My club is even having a fun fly today. Welcome to Washington, Dave
Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 AM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello: Mike here from Bellingham,Wa. Were located approximately 75 miles NORTH of Seattle, 20 miles South of the Canadian border. (city of approx. 67,000) I agree with Dave, we have had a "screwy" winter/spring. Take a look at the local club, at: www.bellairflyers.com. Yes, were on the "wet" side of the Cascades, but, we to also get our fair share of flying in, maybe not as much on the "dry" side where Dave is located. The forcast for today and through the next five days, sunny,with few clouds, from the mid 50's to the low 60's. NICE SUMMER STYLE WEATHER FOR US !
Come to our "Big Bird Fly In" the first full weekend of June and enjoy flying and rubbin' shoulders.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:45 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Just wondering if there was anyone from the state of Washington around to comment on what the flying season is like there. I'm really interested in relocating to Seattle and am curious how much flying time I'd get. Everyone talks about rain but I'm wondering if it's really that bad. The season here is May->November.
i used to live in tacoma washington. while i didnt fly their all i can tell you is it does "rain" quite a bit in the winter/spring. however i wouldnt really call it rain (im in kansas now when it rains if your outside for 30 seconds your soaked, while in washington if it rains you could be out for a few hours and get damp" the question is would you mind flying in a small drizzle. (build some spad's, use a few old engines and dont worry about it)
but during the summer/fall its rarly above 95 degrees (would be great weather to fly in), during the winter its usually about 40 degrees (very flyable) and from what i remember their is not usually wind (could be wrong since wind doesnt affect much when you arnt flying so you dont pay much attention to it) although their are a few "wind storm" through the year
Old 04-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Jetdesign

My goal is about 3 days of flying per week. From what you guys are saying this sounds very possible. Thanks for the input. Will be trying to get out to Seattle over the next few months, and hopefully paying a visit to make a friend or two at Boeing for a future career
Old 04-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Joe, I figured you were thinking about Boeing. There are some new programs going on there right now. By the way, I'm from Tacoma. I moved to Calif. when I was 11 but I still go back once in a while, I'm the only one in the family living out of state. Took me about 10 years before the webs between my toes desolved!! If you stand in one place too long moss will start growing on your north side. Hope you like to fish as much as you do flying. The club my nephew was in has one of the best fields I have seen and he got in a lot of stick time, don't think it was three days a week though. Some years are just better then others. He said this year was really odd, even for Washington. You get used to the weather but keep in mind, it's that green for a reason!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks guys. I will look forward to a visit to western WA (actually I have some time in Spokane, but very, very different from Seattle) and applying to grad school there.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Before we moved to the Southeast I belonged to the Seattle Radio Aero Club (now called the Snohomish Radio Aero Club http://www.sracinc.com/ ) for about twenty years. They have one of the best flying sites in the area and is located a few miles north of Snohomish. See image below. They are a great group and I highly recommend the club.

It is possible to fly year round but it can get pretty cool in the winter and some snow. The snow doesn’t say around very long though. I did fly while it was snowing a few times, got to keep it low and close in. We also flew on rain days by getting a flight in between the showers. Like the others said, Seattle rain is not really wet rain but it can create a lot of building time so our club had some extraordinary great builders.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83615.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1175247