Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

band saw or scroll saw

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

band saw or scroll saw

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:52 PM
spencer321
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default band saw or scroll saw

what would be the best for general rc building.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:22 AM
huck1199

Default RE: band saw or scroll saw

Scroll saw. Make sure you get a 16" throat and 2" thick capacity. The thinner blade makes it more versatile. I got one 2 yrs ago and now I couldn't build without it.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

While I like my scroll saw.... i probably use the bandsaw more often. I have even built a simple fence and cut my own sticks from sheets of balsa.. Much cheaper way to get 1/4 sticks. There are things however you can only do with a scrollsaw, especially cutting inner sections out of bulkheads if you scratch build...I'd hate to be without either one now !
Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have built with a scroll saw only but now have a band saw also. i recommend both.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your budget is a primary consideration, there is a minor detail that seemed to cause me problems back in the early days for me.

An inexpensive band saw wasn't worth buying. Something about band saws seems to make them more of a pain to keep working properly when they're cheaply made. I've had decent scroll saws for 50+ years, and never spent top dollar for any of them. Every band saw has been at least a step or two more expensive than "cheap", and has given less than good service. I was just thinking about that the other night when installing a new blade and discovered how wobbly the wheels have become in just a year or two.

The band saw is really useful, but they seem to be a lot more maintenance than I ever expected. They really haven't lived up to the oft-heard, "you get what you pay for".
Old 08-17-2009, 06:18 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll add to what da Rock said...

I've had a scroll saw for most of my building career, but when I worked as a machinist, I used a band saw every day. I used to dream about having a band saw at home as they cut mush nicer (You don't have all of that vibration).

But the down-side to a band saw (aside from the expense) is that there are many times when you need to cut an inside hole. With a scroll saw, you can remove the blade, put it through a pre-drilled hole, and do your cutting. But you need an industrial type band saw if you want to cut and re-weld blades.

So the scroll saw is more versitile and less expensive. If I could, I'd have both. If I had to choose one, I'd get a scroll saw.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: da Rock
An inexpensive band saw wasn't worth buying. Something about band saws seems to make them more of a pain to keep working properly when they're cheaply made
I couldn't agree more. I've tried to cut corners with an "inexpensive" band saw and had nothing but headaches. It was absolutely worthless. If you buy a band saw, buy quality. It doesn't have to be the high-end, ultra-expensive model but definitely not the $99 special.

I use my scroll saw all the time, even on ARF's when I want to make little brackets, braces and other wood parts.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both and do a lot of model building, all the way from peanuts to 1/4 scale. The band saw is by leaps and bounds the best to have if you can only have one saw as you can use a fret or coping saw for those few necessary inside cuts if you have to. I probably use the bandsaw for 90 % of my sawing, the table saw for 7% and the scroll saw for the last 3% which I could just as easily done by hand but would have taken more time. The two most useful tools in my shop are the bandsaw followed closely by a good large drill press.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Red B.

My most used machine tool when building from plans or scratch is without a doubt my disc sander. If you don't have it, IMHO you should get a good 12" disc sander before investing in a band or scroll saw, unless of course you need a band saw to do a lot of resawing or for preparing really thick strip wood. With a background in furniture woodworking I am accustomed not use a sander, but planes instead. However, I quickly found out that the disc sander is an incredibly versatile tool when preparing wooden parts for model aircraft. In addition to the disc sander I suggest that you get a good quality Japanese dozuki (saw), a fret saw and a balsa stripper.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I have a good bandsaw that I use for both wood working and model building and love it. But the disc sander is indispensible. I rough cut on the bandsaw and take the piece over to the sander - instant parts. On the occasion when I have had to cut out insides of formers and such, I use a couple of forstner bits in the drill press and that removes most of it. Then I attach the sanding spindle to the drill press and sand the nubs smooth. Since I have these other tools, I can't see spending a couple hundred dollars on a good scroll saw.
Even my big table saw comes in handy for model building. With the blade tilted to 1 and 1/2 degrees and a simple jig, I can "shave off" a little bit of the center ribs to make a 3 degree dihedral. cuts "like a knife through butta". The other method I used was to leave the wings alone and rip the angles in a piece of hard balsa. then I glued the wing halves to the balsa piece and got a 3 degree dihedral without weakening either of the center ribs.

Tim
Old 08-17-2009, 02:20 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been in this hobby for many years so have accumalated just about everything one might ever need. Both saws are indispensable but my first choice would be scroll saw. Not yet mentioned here so I'll do so; Dremel with many bits, couldn't be without it.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:44 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Dremel first, scroll saw second, disc sander third, band saw fourth. Just my 2 cents. I do a lot of scratch building and while the band saw is handy, i use it by far the least of those listed above.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
eagledancer

well heres my 2 cents, i use my bandsaw MUCH more then a my jigsaw, belt/disk sander almost as much as my bandsaw and constantly using my dremel
Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
SKYHI1

Yes I' ll second what Eagledancer said in post #13. The scroll is ok for making lightning holes or something that won't easily fit onto the bandsaw. I run a 1/4" blade on my bandsaw and I cut everything with it. Ribs and formers all cut on the bandsaw. Even if it is a simple cut I will walk past the scroll and use the bandsaw. The dremel tool is used often as well.
What ever you buy good luck with it.

Frank
Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
dignlivn

FWIW,

Scroll saw, has my Vote.

Bob
Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I have them both but the scroll saw is my number one tool, maybe tied for first place with the sander.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:56 PM
chashint

The band saw is my second most used power tool, only the bench top sanding machine beats it out.
While I prefer better grade tools I have certainly paid my dues with the $99 specials and for the most part they have served with honor as long as they were not asked to perform a task that really should be reserved for a $400 machine.
For building model airplanes this bandsaw would serve you very well.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...Name=Band+Saws
Of course it seems like the $99 special costs more than it used to.
I have never owned a scroll saw so I have no comment on them.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 PM
foodstick

I will admit the scroll saw I"m comparing my bandsaw to is not a great one, I have to stand with one foot on a two by four ,and then feed the wood in about 10 degrees to the left ..and thats just to get a wobbly attempt at a straight line. Its sort of like chemistry and physics ....I WANT to understands it...but I just have to settle with the results !

Re installing the blade on the lower tooth has taught me patience, my blood pressure has however went off the charts a couple times ! Its right there for heavens sake!! Why can't I hit it ?

One more thing i think the bandsaw get used WAY WAY more for other side projects around the house than the scroll saw will...i still want both..
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both but use the bandsaw much more than the scroll. I guess it depends on the type of building (kit vs scratch) as to which gets more use. Both tools were bought for other woodworking projects (guitars and furniture) rather than airplane building specific.

My bandsaw is an older Craftsman (89' or so), the one with the big table and tilting head. It's worked pretty good for me over the years but does require careful setup to get the most out of it. But all in all, no major issues. The scroll is a Dremel. I've used it maybe a half dozen times over the last 15 years or so but when you need it, nothing else will do.

Dan
Old 08-18-2009, 02:27 PM
LunaSea

well, the advice about cheap bandsaws being a bad investment is certainly true AND there are some pretty good low-cost scroll saws around. I have both, but I think for the "average" builder, a scroll saw is a better investment (less cost, high utility, ability to cut "inside"). Band saws are GREAT for the more sophisticated, high-end user, smoother cuts and ability to rip long lengths. The advice about a small disc, or combo disk/belt tabletop sander is good, and they are CHEAP. It is a great add to go with ANY saw as it allows for cleaning up a rough cut, takes less time to cut precise lines, create accurate angles.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:43 PM
foodstick

it is true that flat sanding wheel can turn a horrible wobbly line into a straight clean edge in just a moment or two...
Old 08-21-2009, 09:10 PM
kahn41
My Feedback: (4)

If your going to build, a scroll saw is a must.. then a delta 9" disk and a 2" belt combo
Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: foodstick

I will admit the scroll saw I''m comparing my bandsaw to is not a great one, I have to stand with one foot on a two by four ,and then feed the wood in about 10 degrees to the left ..and thats just to get a wobbly attempt at a straight line. Its sort of like chemistry and physics ....I WANT to understands it...but I just have to settle with the results !

Re installing the blade on the lower tooth has taught me patience, my blood pressure has however went off the charts a couple times ! Its right there for heavens sake!! Why can't I hit it ?

One more thing i think the bandsaw get used WAY WAY more for other side projects around the house than the scroll saw will...i still want both..
Sorry but I just have to ask, are you the guy that shills on TV commercials?? You know, the guy that can't seem to do anything unless you buy the new brand X item?? Just wondering.
I use the Ryobi scroll saw and there is no light over it anymore and the blades can be changed in the dark. Those two little prongs help out a bunch. If I let him I think my cat could do it.
I got mine at Home Depot for under 100 bucks, been with me for a lot of years.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:26 AM
foodstick

What really makes my Scroll saw work best is this new sham sham wipe down towel ! Its unlike any other cleaning device known to mankind ! The teeth remain bright and hungry!!!!

you can even cover engines with it....KEEPING THEM CLEAN AS NEW !

But wait don't buy just one ! your closet is nearly empty and could store a large assortment ..everything from our toothbrush towel to the one swipe driveway cleaner ! it rakes, it sorts ,it mulchs...
Old 08-22-2009, 11:33 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I vote for band saw here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.