Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Escapade vs. Pulse XT

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Escapade vs. Pulse XT

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:23 PM
dean2287

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Escapade vs. Pulse XT

I am researching a good second plane and want a low-wing with some aerobatics sbilities. I have flown my trainer successfully and can do some aerobatics with it.

Being a typical male, Ialways think bigger is better. The Pulse XT 40 has a bit better than 60" wingspan, while the Escapade is 52.5". The Pulse XT comes in a .46 PNP version, while I could put together the Escapade using my existing .40 and sevos which would be much cheaper.

I am wondering if the Pulse XTis worth going the extra distance for, or if the Escapade would bejust as good a choice? Any difference in quality?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Escapade vs. Pulse XT

I think the Escapade is the best bargain in a second plane on the market today. It is light, well made, quick to assemble and will do all normal aerobatics with ease. It needs no modifications to the design or parts to be an outstanding sport aircraft. I highly recommend the Escapade, so does my wife. You will be happy with it.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:32 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

From what Ive read the Escapade is absolutely a great deal. You just cant beat it at $100. I had the Pulse XT 40 and totally loved it. It was alot of fun and does a hell of a knife edge.

As much as I loved the Pulse...being that this will be your 2nd plane, Id say save yourself a few bucks and get the Escapade. You will still continue to learn, so why not save your hard earned money for the big birds once youve perfected your skills.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:55 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Pulse has been very popular with many satisfied flyers.

It is a much better plane than the "Four Star" series
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 PM
dean2287

...the Escapade must fly better, it has a pilot while the Pulse XT doesn't!!! - pathetic joke...

One big question is - will the Escapade perform well with a OS .40LA? If not, I would be looking at a new engine anyway which makes the Pulse PNP a good deal.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:00 AM
timcat26

ORIGINAL: dea2287

...the Escapade must fly better, it has a pilot while the Pulse XT doesn't!!! - pathetic joke...

One big question is - will the Escapade perform well with a OS .40LA? If not, I would be looking at a new engine anyway which makes the Pulse PNP a good deal.
I fly mine with a Magnum 52FS, so a .40 should be fine for it. It's not a heavy plane.

The little pilot guy is really cool but he gets unhappy when you don't tape or velcro down the canopy prior to flight which has sent him tumbling toward earth while the plane flies on during inverted maneuvers on occasion.

The plane needs a tweak or two to make it right from ARF form but this is a sweet flyer for a second plane.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 AM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Well I've said it a number of times that the Escapade would fly on a strong .25. If you don't add a bunch of unnecessary weight, ie modifications, the 40 LA will be fine. My guess is you'll fly it around on 1/2 throttle a lot.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Echo what was said above. The .40 La will pull it just fine (Escapade). If I had to buy a two stroke engine for it, I'd probably get a .46 , maybe a .55 if I wanted to hover it, but if I had the .40 laying around I'd slap it in there and fly the tar out of it!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both the Escapade and the Pulse XT 60. The main difference between the two is cost. They both fly great and I alternate taking them to the field. The Excapade is $99 and I have a Magnum 46 XLS in it which I got on sale for $47. The Pulse XT 60 I paid $200 for a year ago and got a new OS 61 FX from a estate sale for $80. I had the Escapade out at the field yesterday and had a ball.

Bruce
Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 AM
dean2287

Thanks for your help folks. Think I've made my decision and will go with the Escapade. The Pulse XT PNP is no longer available (well, at least for now), and I already have everything I need to set up the Escapade using components from my trainer. I have a feeling that once I get the Escapade set up I won't want to fly the trainer anyway! However, if I decide to later, I'll put the .40 back in the trainer andload a .55, new servos, and a rx in the Escapade.

BTW, I really like the Pulse XT 60. Maybe that will end up being my 3rd plane...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 AM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dea2287

Thanks for your help folks. Think I've made my decision and will go with the Escapade. The Pulse XT PNP is no longer available (well, at least for now), and I already have everything I need to set up the Escapade using components from my trainer. I have a feeling that once I get the Escapade set up I won't want to fly the trainer anyway! However, if I decide to later, I'll put the .40 back in the trainer and load a .55, new servos, and a rx in the Escapade.

BTW, I really like the Pulse XT 60. Maybe that will end up being my 3rd plane...

DEA2287,
I have had an Escapade all season and I'll ditto everything everybody else has said about. I had an OS .46 FX laying around, so I used and it makes the plane very nearly unlimited vertical. It's a log fun to fly. On the one hand, it flies like an advanced trainer, but it will also do some very nice aerobatics.
I also have some warbirds and a Great Planes Super Skybolt (the kit, not the ARF). I'd consider myself a fairly experienced flyer. Having said that, I sometimes like to take a friend's trainer up just to do some lazy, easy flying.
My point is that you may want to keep your trainer operational for those days when you just want to burn some lazy holes in the sky. An OS .40 or .46 isn't that expensive and the servos wouldn't set you back much cash either (I recommend dual aeleron servos vs the single sevo set-up.) So if you can swing the cash, I'd keep the trainer in flying condition and put new equipment in the Escapade.
Either way you go, you won't regret bying the Escapade.

Mike

Old 09-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Birman

The Pulse is one heck of a good plane and it lands like a butterfly with sore feet.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:53 PM
dean2287

Well, here it is, I bought an Escapade and transferred all my trainer gear into it. The build was fairly easy, although I was suprised how poor the covering was on it. It took me nearly 2 hours of ironing to get it tight and wrinkle free. However, it's a beauty and my gear fits it perfectly. So far I have just the one aileron servo but I may "upgrade" soon enough (Futaba S3003's are dirt cheap).

What would be the best choice of prop? I have always used 10x6 with the OS .40LA for my trainer, although I found for some reason the wooden one's didn't have as much power. Should I stay with that or go to 11x6 or 10x8?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32221.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1280015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52195.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1280016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48821.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1280017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75883.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1280018  
Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Very nice! Good luck with it!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stick with the MAS 10 X 6
Old 09-22-2009, 02:32 PM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to check the CG. I have a Magnum 46 XLS in mine which is heavier than your engine and I had to move the battery up to the firewall over the fuel tank since it was tail heavy. I also needed 3/4 oz in the left wing tip to get proper lateral balance. When she flew she needed only 2 clicks of right trim. I have been flying it all summer and it is great.

Bruce