Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

gms .32 engine problems

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

gms .32 engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 PM
nomoreford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gms .32 engine problems

Ok, I have been fighting this all summer long an I'm ready to do what another post had said to do... find the nearest dumpster and don't look back. But short of throwing money out the window... I'm willing to pick your brains.

Here's what's going on. I purchased the engine used at a swap meet. The previous owner had a label on the box that said NIB (new in box)... I really think he flew it got tired of it and put it back in the new box. With that being said last summer I flew this engine on a sturdy birdy and well had a few mis-fortunes but when it ran it just screamed. It ran beautiful. Late last summer I noticed that my carb was loose so I tightened it. I flew it this past winter and had no real issues. I put it away for a few months and then got it out this spring. I finally got it running this spring but have just one big problem. Anytime that i hold the plane at a 80 or 90 degree angle the engine will die after like 10 seconds. I've replaced the fuel tank after finding a fuel leak. Thought this might help. not really. I then tore apart the muffler. Found that the baffle had been cobbled together. Talked with a friend who said on his plane he was able to just take out the baffle. So I did this now it will run for about 40 seconds and then die. You may be asking why I'm holding the plane at a 80 or 90 degree angle. Simple... I've crashed the plane too many times. I don't care to do it much more. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? Please help. Thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 11:09 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: gms .32 engine problems

I'm assuming you are using a two line fuel system with the clunk line going to the carb and the vent line going to the pressure bleed from the muffler? You've checked the the fuel system and using appropriate sized fuel line. Does the enging have decent compression when you hand turn the prop? Another issue I've seen with the GMSengines is the O-ring seals they used for the carbs is the cheap chinese crap rubber which after some time dries out and crack. When that happens you have air leaks all around the base of the carb. Test with some oil and see if it draws/sucks it in around the base of the carb.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

While you're at it check all of your head and crankcase screws for proper torque, and make sure there are no leaks there either. Have you checked to see if your needle valves are clean? If nothing else fixes it, you might crack it open and see if your internals are rusted from storing with fuel in the engine.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 AM
nomoreford

Guys,

Thanks for all the help.  I did finally get it to run!!!   and Run Right!!!   Here's what I did.  I took the engine completely down and put it in a sonic cleaner.  This thing uses water and a solution that smells like windex and sound waves oh and heat to kinda like boil the snot out of things.  But as I was tearing the engine apart.  I noticed a really thin piece of thread/fuzz/lint whatever you want to call it inside the carb all the way down the crank.  Who knows how it got there but well i'm really thinking that was the major issue.  But then after I boiled the crap out of all the pieces I then went and got some gasket maker in a tube and sealed everything I could.  I suppose that could have been part of the major issue as well.  None the less IT WORKS!!!   Thanks again for all your input.  I hope this can help someone else as well.

- nomoreford
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Star7

I have a number of chinese engines that work very well for me. I think one reason that I have such a positive opinion is that I seal everything that I can think of with silicone grease before breakin. I suspect that airleaks are a common problem.