Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Radial Engine Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Radial Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:34 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radial Engine Questions

Just got a Saito 170R3 for a Gee Bee Y . I put it on a test stand and ran it for about 40 minutes, slightly leaning it more with each tank of fuel as per break in instructions. For about 30 of those 40 minutes the left hand cylinder (looking from the front) was barely warm to the touch while running. I pulled the valve covers and checked valve operation and found the intake push rod out of the socket for the rocker arm. Reinstalled the pushrod and checked valve adjustment while the covers were off and found them to be within the .004 spec. Restarted the engine and the cylinder eventually started to fire. I checked the cyl head temps and found the left and right cyls to be around 175degrees and the top cyl to be at 220. This being my first Radial, do the lower cyls in the ring run richer because the fuel basically run down hill to them, therby cooler and the top cyl runs leaner and hotter because the fuel has to be pulled up hill and probably leaner. Or do I have a problem. The engine is turning up 8000 rpm at best with a 16x8 prop. Looking for helpand or answers. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:06 PM
whatiwork4
My Feedback: (51)

Default RE: Radial Engine Questions

you would be better off asking in the engines forum
Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In the glow engine forum there is a Saito Factory Support section, as What mentioned, you can go there and ask someone from Saito directly.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 AM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks Ill check it out.