Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What's the benefit of 2.4ghz over 72mhz?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What's the benefit of 2.4ghz over 72mhz?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:38 PM
atcNick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the benefit of 2.4ghz over 72mhz?

It's been a while since I've flown RC. I see radios are 2.4ghz now. When I flew I think 72Mhz is what most used. What are the obvious advantages of 2.4 vs 72?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: What's the benefit of 2.4ghz over 72mhz?

The biggest advantage is that you no longer need frequency control - read that as meaning "No more pin" before you can turn your transmitter on.

Also less chance of getting shot down.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:46 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Essentially, faster response time from the airplane to your controls and virtually no possibility of interference. 2.4 has made some new features in individual radios possible too that vary with different manufacturers.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:48 PM
atcNick

Thanks Minnflyer.

That does seem like a nice feature.  So there's no channel numbers on 2.4 g?   By shot down you mean two guys on the same channel on 72mhz?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The biggest advantage is that you no longer need frequency control - read that as meaning ''No more pin'' before you can turn your transmitter on.

Also less chance of getting shot down.
2.4 is what your cell phone is on so just think of it like no one else has your phone number and can't dial you up while you are in the air. As to the radio itself they are the same, nothing there has really changed. Not getting hit and shot down is a very good thing though!!! If you need a new radio then 2.4 is the way to go these days. Some of the older radios like my Futaba 9-C can just be changed over with one of the new modules but then you need to buy new RXs. Some of the guys I fly with have done this and use the JR RXs, cheaper and a better selection then the Futaba FASST system. It's still up in the air which system is the better.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:53 PM
MinnFlyer

Correct. No more channel numbers!

Just go to the field and turn on your radio with no fear of shooting someone down or being shot down by someone else!

If you are getting back into the hobby, it is DEFINITELY the way to go!

I have used several brands and I prefer Futaba's FASST system over the rest
Old 11-29-2009, 07:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts

As Mike said, no issues with frequency control.

Also 2.4 operates above the frequencies generated by most sources of interference like rubbing metal and electronic ignitions so its much more resistant to outside interference sources than 72 mhz radios.

If you go to events or fly at a big field with a lot of people (we have 200+ members) then it's a no-brainer.

But like he said, if you're starting out today it's the way to go.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:18 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

The big technological advantage of 2.4 ghz is that at higher frequencies, the data transfer rate between the transmitter and reciever is significantly higher. This allows the inclusion of additional data in the data stream allowing the reciever to differentiate between frames recieved from different transmitters, and reject the data from the wrong transmitter. Also, it allows multiple frequencies to be used by the same transmitter owing to the very minor differences required in the antenna length. With the added resolution allowed by modern microelectronics and current processing speeds, it becomes possible for the transmitter and reciever to communicate with each other regarding information on signal quality, and allow them to coordinate shifts to alternate frequencies if required. The same technology could theoritically be applied to 72MHZ, but due to the lower data rates, it would take much longer, and would probably not give the desired performance.

2.4 does have some potential drawbacks, primarily in that higher frequency signals are attenuated much faster, and don't penetrate some materials very easily (Carbon Fiber, Metal). With a little attention to setup, these issues can be easily avoided.

Bottom line is that like it or not, 2.4 ghz is the future of RC. Radios are becoming more affordable and are clearly competitive with what we used to pay for 72mhz equipment.

Brad
Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 AM
atcNick

You guys are great!!  Thanks for the information!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would never have asked the question if you had ever been shot down by someone on your frequency while you are flying.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:47 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

2.4 is what your cell phone is on
Nope, cell phones use different bands. 2.4ghz is used for an awful lot of consumer electronics, but not cell phones.

It's not just the frequency security that 2.4ghz offers, but all of the new technologies that have come into radios in the past five or so years. You just can't buy a 72mhz system that has a feature like Spektrum's ModelMatch or Hitec's receiver voltage telemetry.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 PM
MinnFlyer

Or Futaba's reliability
Old 12-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: MikeL

2.4 is what your cell phone is on
Nope, cell phones use different bands. 2.4ghz is used for an awful lot of consumer electronics, but not cell phones.

It's not just the frequency security that 2.4ghz offers, but all of the new technologies that have come into radios in the past five or so years. You just can't buy a 72mhz system that has a feature like Spektrum's ModelMatch or Hitec's receiver voltage telemetry.
Sorry, that's what I was told by Horizon when they first brought it out and I was asking questions about it. That's how I was told to think of it, just as a cell phone that no one knows what your phone number is. How does this voltage telemetry help?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 PM
rc airplane nut
My Feedback: (5)

no long antenna to break.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Archie League

I think the receiver tells the transmitter what your airborne battery packs voltage is. Cool !!! There is your airborne voltage displayed in real time on the flat panel on the front of your Xmitter !!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Or Futaba's reliability
That's a new feature, like the others?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:36 AM
bkdavy

Hitec is advertising that there will be other telemetry features in future models as well. I think the Aurora has a few others. One disadvantage to the reciever battery alarm is that it only works with a 4.8 or 6 v battery. Doesn't have an adjustable set point to use with LiPO or A123.

Brad
Old 12-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why I switched, 2 planes shot down in one day, same guy, 2 different radios., 2 different kit built planes. The first one he shot down I was cool about, disappointed, but cool about it. The second time he did it, I just packed my stuff and went home. Next day I bought 2.4 g and never worry about getting shot down again.
The next time I ran into the guy at the Field, he also had switch over to 2.4g and he handed me a check for the plane he shot down , That was several rears ago and we both and we still laugh about ,when we fly together.
2.4g ,is worth it just for the peace of mind ,You,ll never leave your antennae down and, havinga computerized radio really opens up a lot,s ofprograming options .I can not think of a down side, flying 2.4g
ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

You would never have asked the question if you had ever been shot down by someone on your frequency while you are flying.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 AM
aerofly0610

2.4 is what your cell phone is on so just think of it like no one else has your phone number and can't dial you up while you are in the air. As to the radio itself they are the same, nothing there has really changed. Not getting hit and shot down is a very good thing though!!! If you need a new radio then 2.4 is the way to go these days. Some of the older radios like my Futaba 9-C can just be changed over with one of the new modules but then you need to buy new RXs. Some of the guys I fly with have done this and use the JR RXs, cheaper and a better selection then the Futaba FASST system. It's still up in the air which system is the better.
Cell phones in the USA use 800mhz and 1900mhz not 2.4ghz if anyone cares... just dont want him confused or thinking his cellphone will shoot down a plane!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts

I think the point they were making is that cell phones all share the same frequency band but the only time it pays any attention to the signal is when the packet is coded with the id of the phone (called an ESN).

Same with 2.4, they store the GUID (Globally Unique ID) of the transmitter in the memory of the reciever (the binding process). If the packet doesnt start with that GUID the reciever ignores it. No matter what technology is used (dsm, FAAST, or whatever)
Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: atcNick

It's been a while since I've flown RC. I see radios are 2.4ghz now. When I flew I think 72Mhz is what most used. What are the obvious advantages of 2.4 vs 72?

Thanks.
Operational advantages aside, the benefit of 2.4 is that the development and support for it is on the rise while 72 mhz is stagnant and headed toward obsolesence. It will not be an instant situation with 72 mhz but there is no overiding advantage that will cause consumers to demand it's ongoing development.
If I were starting fresh I would go with 2.4 and not look back.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Gremlin Castle

ORIGINAL: atcNick

Thanks.
Operational advantages aside, the benefit of 2.4 is that the development and support for it is on the rise while 72 mhz is stagnant and headed toward obsolesence. It will not be an instant situation with 72 mhz but there is no overiding advantage that will cause consumers to demand it's ongoing development.
If I were starting fresh I would go with 2.4 and not look back.
Same here, it's been a long time sense one of my students decided on 72, why bother buying old tech if you are starting new.