Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Please

Hey I am putting together my new Guanli Catalina arf, & the guy @ the local hobby shop says to mount the esc's in the wing nacels instead of the fuse. Does this make sense to any one?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:41 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Advice Please

They can go anywhere they fit with no problems. The length of the connectors is more important than anything other than the need for cooling for some setups. If your model is going to make heavy demands that heat the escs up, then they need to be within a cooling airflow. That would be easier to find in a cowling since most have open fronts.

So the LHS guy was probably considering cooling for one thing. If the Catalina is a PBY Catalina, he might also have been considering the problem of water shorting them out.

Why do you feel they should go in the fuselage?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Cliff Secord

I was worried about water, weird weight distribution, + both Guanli and electrafly(the kit the guanli is a direct copy of) show the esc's in the fuse. Also the LHSG sold me my first pane a v-mar cub electric, with powersystem +batt all Idid was add my radio. It was so under powered that not knowing about electric, I even asked if the motor wwas large enough, he asurred me it was first hand launch @ full power on a fresh pack it stalled 4 ft out of myhand in a straight line & nosed into oblivion. The LHSG said "I can't b held accountable foryour flying ability" So needless to say I now check all his advice here before I trust him. Since msny people have since told me inductancee WILL b a prob but if I extend the batt wires(as the LHSG wants) not if I extendthe esc to motor wires(from posts in moters andesc's this site) good thing I dont trust him
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

I highly recommend mounting them in the fuse, I mounted them by the motors and I had one less then perfect landing and burnt a esc. Is it the brushless one? If so, be sure to check the magnets because I didn't bother to and had a motor fail on the first take off and did a pretty cool flatspin landing. This plane also isn't exactly a floater and you need to land it moving pretty fast, or you will tipstall into the drink, its actually a really fun plane to fly, its usually the plane I take up when its to windy for other planes due to its fairly high wing loading and plenty of power with the brushless setup.