Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

can i trust this RX battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

can i trust this RX battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 PM
ceecrb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i trust this RX battery?

Ok my trainers had 2 years without use... it was stored with the RX battery being charged (an nimh 4cell pack).

Tomorrow i'm intending on flying the trainer for the last time, i'll be swapping the radio and motor into something better very soon!

Can i trust the reciever battery though??

When i initially turned on the RX there was power and it controlled servos for a few minutes then it ran out of juice.
I'll be leaving it overnight with the supplied futaba charger sold with my TX....

Comments??
Old 12-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: can i trust this RX battery?

Only real way to find out is cycle it a few times, that sort of leaves out thomrrow though.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:20 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might be ok for one flight...if you keep it short...the key word is MIGHT.

As you said yourself.."flying the trainer for the last time"
You can hope that it doesn't necessarily mean "the LAST time"

As Gray Beard said, you'd be better off to cycle your batteries a few times to be on the safe side.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:24 PM
ceecrb1

fact of the matter is the airframe is going in the bin.... but i'd rather not "crash" it...
MOSTLY to be honest for the danger factor of others on site...
Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 AM
KW_Counter

NiMhs that have been sitting for awhile generally need reforming.
This battery may still be good but you need to cycle it while measuring
its input and output. If it fails, discharge it, form it and then cycle it.
If it fails again, replace it.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
What does your Volt-watch say???
Old 12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
What does your Volt-watch say???
Jaka, not everyone runs a volt watch, I'm the only one I know that even has one on a plane and I only put it on for fun. The loaded volt meter is used here most often before flights. I also use one of the GEM 2000 flashers but like the volt watch I tend to forget it's there and use the meter.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
ceecrb1

A volt-watch wont really help anyway.. as its CHARGE the batteries fail with, not voltage..
This means they will charge to their full 1.2V but wont hold enough current to sustain long usage periods..

In the end I charged up over night and went to the flying site with the aim of just spending the day tuning the engine, and if all went well a short flight.

The battery only help up for the tuning (which didnt go well at all anyway, I hate this magnum motor it has!!)

going to find a small motor or soemthing to cycle the battery a few times......... or i'll just buy a replacement.. they arnt exactly expensive.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll have to disagree with those who do not trust the Voltwatch. Properly used, it is far more reliable than a loaded voltmeter. You need to cycle the sticks as you watch the Voltwatch; if you see the LED's drop down into the yellow or red when you cycle the sticks, you know you have a wiring problem or a battery with a high internal impedance. This will also show any tendency for a servo to be drawing excessive current. This will show up a fault with the wiring, switch etc. where the loaded voltmeter only shows the static battery condition under a constant load. The Voltwatch shows up the problems associated with a transient condition and, if checked right after each flight, is a more accurate indicator of battery charge than the loaded voltmeter. Also, it is always there, no fussing with connectors, finding the meter etc. that keeps most guys using a loaded voltmeter from using them when they should. Note: this is not a condemnation of a loaded voltmeter which is a very useful item, just not as useful as a Voltwatch.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
ceecrb1

I do agree totaly for other aspects.. but a bad RX battery will have such a highly accelerated "discharge rate" that the goalposts will move so quickly that 2 mins after your volt-watch test.. different results would come out...... ie just after take off....