Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobby City?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Gypsy56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby City?

I'm looking to make a couple of overseas purchases soon (Hobby City in China and Steve Webb in England) but I don't do Paypal and I'm afraid to use a credit card.
Are there any alternatives? Being a geezer, I don't know too much about all of this modern computer ordering and stuff like that.
Any ideas?
Help please?

Thanks
Ed
Old 12-28-2009, 02:25 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobby City?

Ed, most credit card companies have a program where they will issue a one use cc number for use in Web purchases. You might try that.

Bruce
Old 12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
ppkk

Ed,

You mention you "don't do Paypal". Is this because you don't know how to use the service or that you do not want to for some reason? If the former, and if you are planning on making online purchases on a regular basis, especially from overseas, I strongly recommend you get a Paypal account. Just go on the Paypal website and do some reading, it's real easy.

You are correct that you should be afraid to hand your credit card number to just anyone; afterall, this is why services like Paypal exist.

With all that said, I have been a regular customer of Hobby City (always using Paypal). They are a credible company and I have never had any issues with them.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Paypal has very strong buyer (you) protection; it is the best way to purchase things online, in my opinion.

I have bought a few things that didn't work out in my favor (wrong product, missing pieces, etc) and every time Paypal took care of the finances with a refund.

People all over the world buy stuff from Hobby City on a regular basis. Seems to be the #1 place to buy lipo batteries these days, among other things. I am waiting until I have a few more bucks in the bank and will be buying a few hundred dollars worth of stuff from Hobby City, and I am not concerned. I will most likely use Paypal as well, and you can even link your credit card to Paypal (dual protection?).
Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I'm a geezer as well. It's a no brainer, get a PayPal account. I use it every where, Hobby City included, and have no issues. Just did all my Christmas shopping online and used PayPal.

steve
Old 12-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

I'm a geezer as well. It's a no brainer, get a PayPal account. I use it every where, Hobby City included, and have no issues. Just did all my Christmas shopping online and used PayPal.

steve
Ditto,

Colin
Old 12-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Gypsy56

Hey guys, thanks for all the answers.
I guess I'll just have to get modern and do the Paypal thing.
I was holding back because a couple of friends had trouble with them.

Ed
Old 12-29-2009, 11:29 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't necessarily like the Paypal fees from a sellers stand point but they do offer great protection, for both buyers and sellers. I recently purchased a couple engines from another RCU member and paid through Paypal. After a couple weeks they never arrived and the seller would not respond to my messages. I kept trying to contact for another week and got no response. I filed a claim with Paypal and they tried to contact him. After ten days, he still hadn't responded to Paypal so they refunded my money in full. If I had sent a money order I would have just been be ripped off without much recourse. Paypal really came through.