Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

New radio (Spektrum) question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

New radio (Spektrum) question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 03:53 PM
mooseflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New radio (Spektrum) question

I've been out of the RC world for a while and just got a new radio... a Spectrum DX7. My question is how does this work at the flying field now, since there are no channels. Do we no longer need to 'check out' a channel pin and put it on the radio? No more waiting for a pin?No worry of turning on my radio and it affecting other folks?Seems too good to be true. Mainly I'm just wondering how this works at the field now and if there is some kind of edicate to follow with the new spread spectrum stuff.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: New radio (Spektrum) question

It's true! It's true! no more waiting for the channel pin, and yes you can turn on your radio without fear of affecting other folks.
As far as edicate, I don't know, not that many at our field to worry about.
Just follow your club rules about how many can fly at once.

Tim
Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It works beautifully.

If you need to turn your radio on to make an adjustment or check something in the pits, no problem.

It is nice to not worry about someone turning on their radio without thinking and causing me to crash or me screwing up and doing it to someone else.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
The Ghost

We still have a key board for 2.4 as well as 36 out here just so we know who is flying and it is still listed as part of the insurance requirement. But is is great not to have to wait for your time to fly.

Cheers
Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 PM
timcat26

We've stopped requiring anyone with a 2.4 radio to grab a Freq. pin. 72Mhz. still must do so, naturally.

The systems are awesome. The only trouble I've had is remembering to now grab a pin when I take up students with the Club Trainers, which are all 72 Mhz. There's also that pesky raising the antenna thing that you don't have to worry about with 2.4.....

Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 PM
mooseflier

That's awesome! Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have a suggestion for placing that second receiver? Iwas thinking of just putting it down under the rudder pushrods towards the tail (since the battery is the other way). That sound good?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:15 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Placing the second receiver really boils down to the plane you are putting it in. The antennas on the second receiver just need to be perpendicular to the first. I'd also avoid areas where it could be shielded by metal, carbon fiber, etc.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts

Many of the big events are moving to 2.4 only so they don't have to manage a transmitter impound as well.