Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help Me Pick the Engine

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help Me Pick the Engine

Old 03-24-2010, 10:52 PM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Pick the Engine

I never ran 4 stroke before, and still like the idea of 2 stroke sound in the U CAN DO 60 . I can not see any difference between my O S 65 and a 91 4 stroke . ( I feel if I go 4 stroke it should be big)
The 3 engines I am looking at are - MAGNUM XL-91. RFS, Thunder Tiger 90, OR something like 110 or 120 4 stroke, that some day can end up in a war bird.
What should I pick.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:27 PM
jay2000dakota

Default RE: Help Me Pick the Engine

4 strokes have more torque and can swing bigger props. great for 3d planes. I personally do not like 2 strokes., im my experiance theres too much pissing areound with needle valves. Atfer the break in period with my saito 4 strokes I set the needles once and usually never touch them again. I would put a satio 125a or 150 in that plane. Satios are pricey but worth every penny or the motors are lighter the O.S or Magnum. Make sure you follow the manual on how to break the 4 stroke in right.Remember its better to have too much power than not enough.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

The throttle response on a 4 stroke is awesome. Personally I like the sound of 4 strokes better (as do most, but not all), and for a 3D plane you get the ability to swing a larger diameter prop for more torque.

I have seen quite a few of those planes fly at my club with the Magnum .91 four stroke and they fly very well. A .70 will fly the plane, a .90 really pulls the plane around. If I personally were to buy an engine for this plane, I would look at Thunder Tiger; they have a very good reputation and competitive pricing, and seem to be a step above Magnum in quality. This is purely from what I've gathered on this site though, I've only run OS and YS engines. If money were not an issue, I would go for the OS 91 Pumped 4 stroke.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:34 AM
jamesc43
My Feedback: (2)

I have the RCM Magazine which contains the review of that airplane. The manufacture didn't recommend installing anything
larger than a 91 in the airframe. The reviewer installed a YS 120AC. I think that particular engine is a suprecharged 4 stroke engine.
He gave it rave reviews but didn't use more than 1/2 throttle during most of the flights due to the large displacement engine and power.
I would agree with the review in that you need to limit the amount of power installed to ensure that you do not overpower the flight
controls during high speed manuvures.

I've got a TT 91 4 stroke, a YS 91 AC, and just picked up a OS FS 91. The YS is the most powerful but it is also the heaviest. It also requires tuning during
the flying season. The others engines are reliable powerplants, produce good power, and are almost set and forget engines.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: jamesc43
and are almost set and forget engines.
It's a fallacy to think an engine is "set and forget" especially one brand over another. You are setting the needle valve for the conditions, and if the conditions change enough, you will need to change your setting (or fly around too rich or too lean). Don't fear the needle - learn to set it.

Kurt
Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Jetdesign

The YS 110 and Saito 1.50 will fly 9lb 3D planes adequately. I had the YS in my 8.75lb 69" Yak and it was more than enough power. I don't see the need for something so big, heavy, and expensive in the 7.3lb U-Can-Do .60. These engines are also in a much higher price category than the Magnum and TT .90. Of course it is all personal preference.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy peazy,buy a 220 and smile for years mate
Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Jetdesign

You can see what people recommend in that plane here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=1906

.91 four stroke. 1.00 four stroke, and a few 1.10 four stroke are the engines of choice.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine brand is one of the big choice things in modeling. My choice is always YS first and OS second, I never buy a Saito new but do pick them up in trades. When buying new I always go to YS. The YS 1.10, OS .91 and Saito 100 are all very fine choices and engines that will serve you well at a later date when you go into any of the 60 size warbirds. I do like pumpers but prefer the YS system. A lot can depend on what other people are using at your field so they can help you out if you have any problems. Read up on the different brands then make your choice.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:57 PM
David Bathe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First 4 stroke?
OS, period.
And don't mess around, get a 1.20 (with a pump if you feel for it) and smile.
My 4 stroke collection consists of 9 YS's, and an old Enya .41 and an even older OS surpass 1.20.
For general use, the latter two are light years ahead the the former 9.
Get the picture.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:56 PM
ES CONTROL

Thank you guys !  This is a big help. 
I will stick with the 91 size .  Why ?               1. First Low Wing   (I will not know the difference in vertical speed If I never had it to begin with.)
                                                                            2. I want to teach some kids about tork   (65  2 str. / 91 4 str. same horsepower ETC )
                                                                           3. If I go to a war bird its going to be BIG ( not a 100 size)
                                                                          4. I decided to buy a new 7 Ch. Futaba radio with extra rx for $10.00 . thus I can not afford a 120 pump.

However I still like the idea of a OS 1.20 
Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: jamesc43

I have the RCM Magazine which contains the review of that airplane. The manufacture didn't recommend installing anything
larger than a 91 in the airframe. The reviewer installed a YS 120AC. I think that particular engine is a suprecharged 4 stroke engine.
He gave it rave reviews but didn't use more than 1/2 throttle during most of the flights due to the large displacement engine and power.
I would agree with the review in that you need to limit the amount of power installed to ensure that you do not overpower the flight
controls during high speed manuvures.

I've got a TT 91 4 stroke, a YS 91 AC, and just picked up a OS FS 91. The YS is the most powerful but it is also the heaviest. It also requires tuning during
the flying season. The others engines are reliable powerplants, produce good power, and are almost set and forget engines.
YS engines aren't really designed to run at WOT all the time...Saito and OS can be run full throttle their whole life