Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

adding to elevator width??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

adding to elevator width??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:25 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default adding to elevator width??

hey guys,
i'm about to put one of these together (Hangar9 Sundowner 50)
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4725

a member at our club has flown one and described is as i expect it to be....the only thing he had concerns with was the way you run out of elevator at low speed for landing.

my question is whether or not to add to the width of the elevator?
any ideas?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:53 PM
jay2000dakota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: adding to elevator width??

by its design I would guess that it needs to be landed fast, It wouldn't be hard to add some width to the control surface but is it actually needed? or was the pilot tring to land it too slow
Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Stick 40

I would have to ask, how are you looking at width. Is that going with the length of the plane, in other words the elev. would stick out the back of the plane more????

If thats what you are saying, I have done that to a couple of kits. But it was after I had built one and decided it needed it. I would add to the plane next time I built that same kit . I think its up to you, but remember it will add weight to the tail and way back there will make some difference.

good luck with it.

sticks
Old 04-18-2010, 06:49 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: jay2000dakota

by its design I would guess that it needs to be landed fast, It wouldn't be hard to add some width to the control surface but is it actually needed? or was the pilot tring to land it too slow
it seems to be the concensus from a lot of people who have flown this plane.
i'm trying to decide whether or not it would cause any snaproll tendencies as well whether at landing or normal speed.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:52 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: Stick 40

I would have to ask, how are you looking at width. Is that going with the length of the plane, in other words the elev. would stick out the back of the plane more????

If thats what you are saying, I have done that to a couple of kits. But it was after I had built one and decided it needed it. I would add to the plane next time I built that same kit . I think its up to you, but remember it will add weight to the tail and way back there will make some difference.

good luck with it.

sticks
yes i am asking about adding to the cord. maybe a 1/4" and then sand and recover.
2 -1/4" sticks added to (1 per side) shouldn't add that much to it, and i may need the weight back there with the Jett 56LX i'm installing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq49018.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1420465  
Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
darrolair

summerwind,
Have you tried moving the CG back. This usually takes care of running out of elevator.
Darrol
Old 04-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Lnewqban

The video shows a pretty slow landing:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...725#reviewsTab

Consider also taping or covering the hinge, so the elevator authority increases.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 PM
summerwind

wow, i never saw that video..........thx
Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed at the field that the lighter versions of this plane flies better. The electric one looks pretty tame, around here, but I have seen one that was a nose heavy glow and it looked like a pain. I use to fly for fun some .15 QM racers and because of the fast speed, they were flown with just a little control throw, but landing I could actually slow the plane down pretty good because of the efficiency of the airframe. I had a high rate for slow flight so I would have enough control movement; not a bunch but more than the other.