Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel Pump what wont leak after a few months

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel Pump what wont leak after a few months

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:02 AM
shaggy48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump what wont leak after a few months

So I've been using this fuel pump for about a year now. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVZ41&P=ML But I think it only worked a a few months before it started to leak. It is now so bad I'm fed up with it and ready to junk it.
Don't want to buy another hobbico but I do like the fact that its 12 volts and will plug into my field box. Can anyone recommend a better one? One that wont leaf fuel all over my field box.

Thanks
Shaggy
Old 04-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Pump what wont leak after a few months

I have an old MARK-X that has been in use for almost 20 years, last time I saw a modeling magazine they were still made. You would have to look very hard to find too many things marked Hobbico in my shop, most everything I ever bought from Tower that was Hobbico was total crap. That was pretty cheap for a pump though.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never had an electric pump that worked for more than a season. I switched to hand-crank pumps and have had very few problems since
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Spitfire222

I'm with Mike here. My first fuel pump was electric, and lasted for a little more than a season (though, with little use). After that, per suggestions I read on RCU, I purchased a hand crank pump, that is still going strong after several years.

I also think it's simply more convenient, as you can control the speed of filling or de-filling, which is useful as the tank is nearing full.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
LargeScale88

I have been using the same hand crank pump for 6 years. Its a hangar 9, doesn't leak a drop. If you really want electric, hangar 9 still might have there electric pump, but dont use hobbicos pump, its cheap junk, worthless, and like minnflyer said, its good for about one season.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same problem with electric fuel pumps, especially the Hobbico pumps. Either they leak, the motor dies or the connection between motor and pump breaks. They rarely last more than a few months. So when Slimline came out with the Boxxer line of pumps I had to try one. http://www.slimlineproducts.com/onli...oxxer_pump.htm

These are fantastic! I've been using one since they were first introduced, three or four seasons ago, with no leaks, no break downs, no problems. Plus there are replacement parts available. You pay a little more for them but you won't be replacing it before the season is over.

Dave
Old 04-23-2010, 02:28 PM
shaggy48

OK thanks
The slimline does look like it may be high quality, but don't know if I want to pay that much. Do I take the chance and try the much cheaper hangar 9, or suck it up and buy the slimline? The hangar 9 says it has a two year warranty. But will it leak or break like the hobbico? As for going with the hand crank, i would imagine those should hold up better. At least that seems to be the consensus. Maybe I should try the hangar 9 hand crank. $15.00 vs $50.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:29 PM
andybenton

i use a near 19 year old hand crank pump that i got from my grandfather. works great. fills fast when you want, and slow and precise when you want.

my electric pump is a deisle fuel pump from a walker brand lawn mower. it works good, but fills my small tanks way to fast. so i only use it when im trying to squeez one last run in before nitefall lol
Old 04-23-2010, 02:40 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

That Tower pump in the first post lasted me 2-3 years before it gave out. I now have this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDES1&P=ML

Seems to be better quality, and it's still working 2+ years later.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 PM
shaggy48

Thanks. No one else mentioned the Sullivan
Old 04-23-2010, 03:52 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another vote for the Slimline.
this pump has been on my box for 3 years now. the pump action is 3 rollers that are turned by the motor that squeeze off on the extra large tubing that the fuel is sucked and pumped from your container.........the only possible way for it to leak is if the tubing was to somehow rupture. it would have to be old and brittle to do so. if that happens though, there is an overhaul kit that supplies new tubing and the 3 rollers for less than half of what the cheap electric pumps cost.

before this i had the Sullivan which is a good unit, but they replaced the pump part as it did start leaking 3 months later..............when you look at the pump you will see why.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34096.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1423454  
Old 04-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

If you want to end the fuel pump hassle, once and for all, get one of these from Central Hobbies in Billings, MT.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Fuel/flpmp.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58086.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1423919