Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

petrol engine

Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 AM
croweclaude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default petrol engine

Hi, Should the fuel be run out of a petrol engine at the end of a days running as with nitro engines or should some fuel be left in the tank to keep the carb wet? Cheers, Mark.C.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: petrol engine

I have been flying gas for over 20 years. Have never run the carb dry and have never had a problem. I supposed if you were going to store the engine/aircraft for any lentgh of time, the carb should be run dry to avoid evaporation/residue problems.

I've probably just been lucky.

steve
Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can go into the gas engine forum and ask someone in the manufacture support. I run them and leave them wet but mine get flown all season long. All of my under the bench engines were left wet and after two years of sitting they were fine and fired right up. These were with normal two stroke oil. I just put one under the bench waiting for repairs but this one will be cleaned out before long storage. I used some Klotz oil I had on hand and it contains Castor oil!! Castor and long storage can lead to gumming problems. I haven't had any problems with gas mix harming the diaphragm in the carb but I have also got the diaphragms used for gasahol. Go look up your question in the gas engine forum for better info, what works for me may not work for everyone.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I generally drain the tank out of habit but that's it; I don't bother running the carb and lines dry. I figure that I don't do it on my mower, string trimmer or chainsaw so there is no real need to do it on my airplanes either.

I suppose running some fuel treated with stabilizer through it might be beneficial for long term storage.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
croweclaude

Thanks, Mark.C.