Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

K-2 Spot Remover has a new name

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

K-2 Spot Remover has a new name

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 01:50 PM
dickj
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K-2 Spot Remover has a new name

I have noticed several inputs on RC Universe talking about the use of K-2 Spot Remover to soak up fuel in airplane balsa wood.

THe name has changed so I will post a picture here as well as the other thread that I answered yesterday.

Here is what it now looks like and the new name if you are interested. It works quite well for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94775_12292.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	54421  
Old 07-18-2003, 02:36 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Dick!

K2R has been getting hard to find, now I know why!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to me you've gotten the wrong information, K2R is a spray that becomes a powdery residue which as it dryes (soaks)loosens up the stain, it works very well on balsa wood that has soaked up engine fuel and other oily messes, and it does a pretty good job at this problem that we all encounter from time to time (it is vacuumed off after it dries).
On the other hand, Spot Shot is a local fabric spot cleaner, which I've used extensively when I had my carpet cleaning business, by the smell of it, it is butyl (this chemical is what you probably know by "degreaser", sold to clean car engines, etc.) with special drying agents, and it does a very good job at removing stains from carpets and for best results it should be bloated with a clean towel, rather than letting it dry on its own (they stain will come back), I don't believe it will work at soaking up the oil from balsa wood as K2r does, though.
Spot Shot is a much newer product than K2r, and it comes into the market with different names also. and if it were the same chemical, the addition of additives is what makes them work better at some things as opposed to others.
I haven't personally tried it in balsa wood as I have K2r, but it may, major difference is that K2r dries into a powdery residue, making it easy to vacuum off, Spot Shot does not, so it would probably become necessary to use a towel to bloat it out.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:43 PM
dickj

Ok everyone I was wrong!!!!!!!! I have been using it as a replacement for the K2r for my carpets (exact copy of can) and no K2R on shelf at store anymore so appeared to me to be the same. It is the same result on carpet. I havent had a fuel soaked balsa plane for awhile. Tried a experiment on balsa just now. It is as aforementioned post states, have to blot to remove fuel. Hard to do. I will try and find a can of K2R somewhere and compare ingrediants. Sorry, please forgive me for this erroneous post and thanks for the correction and disertation above. sorry!!!!!
Old 07-19-2003, 12:34 AM
dickj

OK Guys heres the real answer: YOu cant buy K2R anymore and here is a source for the successor:

CM Products Inc.

Sprayway Spotlifter

This is an excellent spot cleaner! Leaves no ring. Spray on, let dry, brush off. It dries to a white powder, like the old K2R cleaner you can't buy any more. Removes grease, grass stains, oil and most food spots from upholstery, carpets, wallpaper, clothes and slipcovers. 16 oz. can.
Price: $7.99

End of my research on this subject
Old 07-19-2003, 01:19 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to laugh at this one !

Great Columbo work Dick, and thanks, I had already run out of K2r.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:03 AM
Dsegal

If you can't get a spray cleaner you can always use a slurry of rubbing alcohol with cornstarch. Cheap, too.

Dave Segal