Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

new plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 AM
reelay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new plane

new to me that is, just picked up a used sig 4 star 60 with a saito 100 4 stoke . almost perfect condition,my question is how hard are these to fly ,been flying a couple years, the only other plane i have thats close to this size is hanger 9 cherokee and its pretty easy to fly. 150 beans for this plane seemed like a killer deal but not if i cant fly it. Lee
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: new plane

That is a killer price, the 100 is worth that. The 4*s are all very easy to fly, just big floaters but able to do stunts. Today it's one of the top planes for peoples second plane after teh trainer. All the 4*s will fly the same, the 60 is just a bunch easier to see. I also use them as a first kit for people wanting to learn to build. Just finished one yesterday and sent it home with the owner to get final sanded before covering. Next week the covering will be done and the plane maidened.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
timcat26

It's one of the best second planes out there. They float in pretty well and are pretty easy to fly yet can get a little wild if you want it to. You got a great deal and won't be disappointed in choosing this one.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 AM
reelay

thanks for the info,i alredy love this plane and havent even flown it yet. its the yellow one. Lee
Old 05-09-2010, 09:29 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great deal!

Are you a member of a local club? If so I would take the plane to one of the "old sage" club members and have 'em do a stem to stern inspection. I do this with every plane that I build before MY maiden just because I want fresh eyes looking for things that I might have missed (repeatedly ).

Please, please, please be so careful on the start up stand. One of our members was firing up his red 4Star60 with a Golden Knight Saito with an APC prop. It was spinning at full throttle - for some reason only God knows he stuck his hand, fingers first, into the prop.

Not trying to unsettle you by any means - just tossin' out a heads up - don't let your mind wander when ya go flying.

Let us know how you like the 4Star!!! Btw, I'm (re)maidening my 4Star60 kit. Just replaced the original Saito 91 with a Super Tigre G90. Why? Because. No other reason. Got bored after a hard landing that knocked the landing gear block out - I don't know WHY I used metal hardware to hold the gear on rather than 1/4-20 nylon bolts. I let my mind wander during the build.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 AM
reelay

thanks for the advice my son is into this hobby pretty deep, he usally checks my stuff out for me. your right alway a good idea to have more than one set of eyes on these things. he always wants me to look his stuff over also. i show them props alot of respect , i had a serious accident at work ten years ago right hand already bad , i have my big toe off my right foot for a thumb index finger missing and 2 fingers made into one. people always ask me if i did it with a plane ,i say no but could have. thanks for the info. Lee
Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Great deal!

Are you a member of a local club? If so I would take the plane to one of the ''old sage'' club members and have 'em do a stem to stern inspection. I do this with every plane that I build before MY maiden just because I want fresh eyes looking for things that I might have missed (repeatedly ).

Please, please, please be so careful on the start up stand. One of our members was firing up his red 4Star60 with a Golden Knight Saito with an APC prop. It was spinning at full throttle - for some reason only God knows he stuck his hand, fingers first, into the prop.

Not trying to unsettle you by any means - just tossin' out a heads up - don't let your mind wander when ya go flying.

Let us know how you like the 4Star!!! Btw, I'm (re)maidening my 4Star60 kit. Just replaced the original Saito 91 with a Super Tigre G90. Why? Because. No other reason. Got bored after a hard landing that knocked the landing gear block out - I don't know WHY I used metal hardware to hold the gear on rather than 1/4-20 nylon bolts. I let my mind wander during the build.

One friend I fly with just had a brain fart and stuck his hand in the prop of his G-62, it was vary ugly!! It can happen to anyone at any time if you quit thinking for a second. If you give it some thought, what would have happened if you would have had nylon dolts in there and had a hard landing. The LG block is an easy fix. Don't second guess yourself, I use metal bolts all the time with reinforced LG blocks.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:24 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Em, GB - maybe my "hard landings" are harder the most. Actually, it was a dead stick into the off-runway boonies. My Super Tigre G90 sucked / pushed the exhaust header manifold gasket out of the way resulting in gasket material closing off the exhaust port. Em ........

I keep thinking that if my skills improve then I can migrate to the hard metal parts ... Anyway, I wanted an excuse to recover the fuse.