Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

DLE-30cc in a Ultra Stick Lite 120??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

DLE-30cc in a Ultra Stick Lite 120??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:20 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE-30cc in a Ultra Stick Lite 120??

I posted this over in the Gas Forum, but I noticed there wasnt a lot of people over there. Thought I would post here to see if I could get some help with this. Im a glow guy, and have been thinking about building a 120 size Stick with a gas motor. Hangar 9 recommended a 23-26cc gas engine. The DLE 30 is 38 oz w/ ignition, and Hangar 9 recommends a Saito 180 at 31oz w/o muffler. Any way, does anyone think is would be an unacceptable combination? I would greatly appreciate your guys input. Scoot
Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DLE-30cc in a Ultra Stick Lite 120??

A gasser on an Ultra Stick Lite makes for a great combo. I've had one for three years with a Zenoah G-20 and it is absolutely my favorite plane to take to the field and I fly it as much as the other eight or so planes combined. I think so highly of it that I've a spare in the box.

Part of the reason the plane is so much a favorite is because the engine is rock solid. It starts easy and has been 100% reliable. It provides unlimited vertical and balanced perfectly without the need to put servos in tail or do anything heroic to balance. The only thing slightly different is the tank is mostly in the wing saddle on balance point and the ignition and its battery are forward of the tank for isolation.

As to the DLE 30... if it is reliable and smooth running, it would make a great engine. This plane is about fun... go with the quad setup and a gasser for easy clean up and low fuel cost because you will want to fly it a lot. Much of the fun of this plane is its low weight and flight performance so don't use an engine heavier than the G-20 so I disagree with Hanger Nine a little in that they seem to be recommending a G-23 or G-26, both in my opinion great engines but too heavy. The G-20 will yield unlimited vertical whereas the heavier G-26 does not, the slight power advantage of the G-26 being lost by its additional weight. The stock plane has no stab support wires and I've not needed them with a G-20.

If I recall, some triangle stock was added for firewall support and I rotated the mounting plate of the G-20 90 deg and placed it on one half inch standoffs in an inverted position. I did replace the stock ignition because it was power hungry... Rcxel has a plug and play replacement that is very reasonably priced that has been rock solid and runs all day on a normal flight pack of around 1100 mah.

The plane is not a normal sport plane nor is it a 3D plane. It can shift from sport performance where it does effortless vertical eights inside outside or combined to a plane that chugs slowly around the sky like a Cub. It can leap into the air in about its length and land from a dive directly over the runway. It will do just about any thing asked of it except a pretty knife edge.

Enjoy

Old 05-25-2010, 08:09 AM
WCB

It will do just about any thing asked of it except a pretty knife edge.
amen to that
Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 PM
scooterinvegas

Just called, the 120 stick is sold. Im bummed.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

Just called, the 120 stick is sold. Im bummed.
Sold out or just back ordered?? Same thing I guess. One of the guys I fly with has had both the CRRC 26 and 40 installed in his H-9 Stick, both were great but he settled for the 26. One of my old students is assembling his first gasser, the AeroWorks 90 to 120 YAK and using the 30 DLE in it. According to AW they feel the DLE 30 is a perfect match for that plane. Right now the DLE 30 and 55 are the fair haird child at my field, very impressed with them myself and haven't seen any problems with them so far. In small gas engines I have the Brison and RCS but today I would buy the DLE without a second thought. Sorry about the stick, did they give you any idea when they would be in stock again??
Old 05-25-2010, 07:32 PM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Sold out or just back ordered?? Sorry about the stick, did they give you any idea when they would be in stock again??
Hangar 9 discontinued the 120 Stick. A friend of mine heard I was looking for one, and gave me his brothers number. The brother bought one, never built it, and wanted to sell it. I called today, (almost 2 weeks after getting the number) and he had already sold it. Im kicking myself..... Ive got Denny keeping an eye out for me. Scoot

Old 05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
scooterinvegas

Till I find one (and i will) what larger scale plane would be the closest to a 120 Stick? I have an 60, and crashed a 40 (dumb dumb dumb) what else fly's similar, will take 30cc DLE and lands in the wind like its on rails?   Scoot
Old 05-30-2010, 12:01 PM
scooterinvegas

Found one Ultra Stick Lite 120 new in the box!!! ..........(Happy Dance)

Now, I was thinking a DLE-30 for weeks, but now Im thinking Syssa 30cc. I would gladly pay the extra money for an American made motor. Im not going to wast anyone's time talking about a nonexistent set up, Im just going to get my US Lite built w/ the motor. Scooter