Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Thanks for your comments Pete. I'm hearing about 75/25. 75 saying if I got the skill, i'm safe flying, and can fly certain airplanes, go for it. The others say be careful, do what I want to do, with an experience pilot near me.

Its tough to choose. Theres a 12 year old flying a bud nosen P-51, the same one I have, and the top flite I'm going to purchase. And like some people said, its not the age, but the skill. The younger ones like me can have all the safety, skills, and responsibility as an older more experienced pilot.

Like some people said, don't let the old geezers who think they are "know it alls" because they have been in this hobby for longer than I have ruin the fun and rc airplane flying because they tell me what I can and can't do.

I figured out my plan. When I get into the Warbirds soon, I will go to the field very early when noone is out, test fly and crash/fly the airplane around to get the hang of it. Then go to the field with the warbird when theres people out there, and they all are gonna question what I'm doing with this giant airplane. They are going to be nervous and scared, and then I will fly it and prove that they are wrong about the age of a person flying.

Thanky you.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Largescale88 you are the best judge of your abilities, you think you are ready for whatever airplane then go for it. As with anyone flying any airplane it goes without saying, be safe and have fun!!!!! I am 52 years old and all the guys at my field are between the age 30 or so on up to very old. I LOVE seeing young people out there flying!!! I wish there were alot more to be honest, especially if they are as enthusiastic as you are, You go and most of all, have fun!!! this is what I do for fun, there should NEVER be any negative comments at the field (but there always are) just keep doing what you are doing and let your ability speak for itself.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:22 PM
LargeScale88

Now thats the kinda answer I'm looking for!!! Someone who just wants to have fun in this hobby regardless what airplane they want to fly. It seems every time someone flies at our field, the so called "experts" always say what you SHOULDhave done, or DIDN"T do right, and thats where they fun starts to leave the hobby. Thank you very much.

Happy Flying!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Who gives a frog's fat ***** what anybody says. This is a hobby, A HOBBY!!!!!!!! You are not flying a commercial 747. Don't ever let anyone discourage you from flying. If you said you had no experience..different story. Check this link out and look on the right side of the page...

http://alshobbies.com/

Hows about a 9 year old flying turbines..I get heated when I hear stuff like that. If you know you can fly it without endangering anyone..just do it...my 2 cents
Old 06-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a reason the law says anyone under 18 is a minor and is the responsibility of a adult, like parents. You might have the skill to fly the plane but as a minor do you have the maturity to handle the responsibility as an adult?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:27 PM
LargeScale88

I can easily handle the expense, responsibility, and safety that an adult could. Theres not to many kids like me out there. I mean, not in this hobby, my favorite music is glenn miller, the carpenters, other kids my age music is a bunch of garbage, that has no point.

If I came to my club at 9 years old with a turbine, all hell would break loose. Luckily I'm not or I would have a good chance of not responding to this post again.

Even my parents agree I can easily handle these big aircraft.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM
fcomer84

Glenn Miller? Really? One of my favorites.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:45 PM
LargeScale88

American patrol, in the mood, perifidia, string of pearls, classics of WW2.

I'm always so excited to go to my clubs warbird meet because they play great music, really makes it seem like its the good old days, back in the 40s. Except I won't have a warbird, until now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You should really go for the path that gets you the best chance of success. If you have flown smaller warbirds already and have a feel for how they handle, why not enlist the help of one of the better and more experienced pilots in your club? Preferably one who flies these warbirds that you want to fly. Ask him to come out with you and talk you through your first flight or two, and ask him for trimming advice. One post earlier in the thread mentioned how quickly the "jerks" at the field turn into really nice guys when you start asking them questions instead of acting like a know-it-all. Enlist one of those guys who really does have experience and let him tell you what to do to have a good flight.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

I have had the chance to see 4 young pilots under 16 fly large scale RC planes and their skill was outstanding, but everyone of them did it under the watchful eye of their father or another adult flyer.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:20 PM
VCScott

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

I can easily handle the expense, responsibility, and safety that an adult could. Theres not to many kids like me out there. I mean, not in this hobby, my favorite music is glenn miller, the carpenters, other kids my age music is a bunch of garbage, that has no point.

If I came to my club at 9 years old with a turbine, all hell would break loose. Luckily I'm not or I would have a good chance of not responding to this post again.[img][/img]

Even my parents agree I can easily handle these big aircraft.
Glenn Miller? The Carpenters?? You got to be kidding!!! Are you 15 or 51? Hey, with your parents blessing, fly whatever you want, have fun, It's just a hobby. Date girls, play sports, live life, don't miss out, you'll always have RC.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 PM
fcomer84

Fly what you want now! When you get married it will be 20 years before you fly again. Then you will be one of the old farts at the field![sm=49_49.gif]
Old 06-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: fcomer84

Fly what you want now! When you get married it will be 20 years before you fly again. Then you will be one of the old farts at the field![sm=49_49.gif]

OMG! That wouldn't be so funny if it weren't true. The other one is, once you start having kids you leave only to return 20 years later as a old fart. [sm=lol.gif]

I'm one of the lucky ones that had a kid, 2 years ago and a wife, 10 years ago and all that time I haven't lost the love of flight.

Pete
Old 06-06-2010, 02:37 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

I see it like this. I don't care the age of any individual that comes out and flies. If they have AMA and club membership or a guest of member GO FOR IT! If it is YOUR airplane at risk Fly WHAT you want to fly!! Many of the OLD FARTS get mad because a youngster comes out and can fly circles around them because the young have faster reflexes and can see better!

If you can safely handle a large bird then go for it! Your parents say you are ready then GO GO GO! Have a ball.

The "Peanut gallery" is just that. "peanut gallery" sitting on their duffs running their mouths. Notice the word NUT.

Just one word of advice. Be respectful, if someone actually provides good advice don't say "I Know", say, "That is a good Idea! Thank you!" You will be amazed how that works.

After over 20 years of flying I just now started to get into big gas airplanes. I test flew my Scratch Built Davis D1W with 116 inch WS with a quadra 35cc gas last week and working on a CMP Corsair 120 that will have a SV26cc gas. I have flown glow for years and been happy and content but with glow fuel now over $20.00 a gallon I wanted to try gas.

My smaller glow planes that I want to keep I am switching to electric. I will probably sell all my glow stuff except for a very select few.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:03 AM
LargeScale88

Sounds like I should GOFORIT!!!

Even though I haven'te been flying nearly as long as other people have been flying warbirds, I still love them and want to fly them, so why not fly them, learn about them, and go from there, and not move one airplane at a time!!

I was looking up young pilots like me on youtube, and I saw a15 year old flying a HUGEgiant heli, 2 or 3 times the size of the gas helis, and he was flying that thing like crazy, and won a trophie.

My one question is, whats an all composite airplane?
Cause I've been talking about the top flite P-51, and they says its not composite. Whats composite?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Well I think I'm matured up way more than kids my age. I always fly safe, by the rules, safety comes first. I guess i could say I'm smart because I'm taking college classes right now as a sophmore in high school. I was just wondering what other peoples opinion was. My grandpa thought the same I did. People judge what you can fly by your age, and how long you have been flying, so if they have never seen you fly a warbird, they don't think you can, when you actually can, so thats why I asked.

One reason why I was getting kinda mad is because I said they judge what airplanes you can fly based on age, even though they have never seen you fly before.

And don't ever worry, i'm always safe. I'm actually a safety officer at my field. I've been talking with numerous people about the different flying characteristics in warbirds, so its not like i'm going up in the air with absolutely no idea what the heck i'm doing. I've got lots of brain experience it terms of ground checking, i know about stalls, i test the stall rate on new airplanes, i make sure dual and high rates are set right, i program flap and elevator mix, rudder and aileron mix, and more. So I got the talent, brains, and flying experience to fly these bigger ones.

You asked where I get the money to afford all these expensive airplanes?
- I'm working 32 hours a week at an electrical company with my dad, we make electric circuit boards for cell phones, programming, and more.

I program my servos, and re-program recievers sometimes, have all the 2.4 systems hooked up.

Overall, I got the brains, experience, and talent with maturiy and safety.

Thanks
So, can you rebuild burned out electronic speed controllers for brushless motors??. I shorted one out a few days ago. With all my experience, (20 plus years) I did a really good job toasting it.

Steve
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM
LargeScale88

I probably could, but my dad would have it running again instantly. Hes the one who buys all the elctronics for these airplanes. He buys radios just to look at, he takes apart old FMradios to learn about them.

May I ask, how did you burn it out?

Jason
Old 06-06-2010, 01:06 PM
CadFlyer
My Feedback: (16)

LargeScale88............. Listen man, If you have the ability, knowledge, safe mindset, and funds to fly these big birds then DO IT!! You have the right to fly them just like anyone else in this forum. You sound like a very determined young man who knows what he wants from this hobby. DON'T let a few jealous critics stop you from flying the cream of the crop in RC. I find that usually the ones to knock someone like you who wants to fly expensive large scale warbird's are the ones who cannot afford to fly that class of plane and you become an easy target of criticism when you ask a question like this in a forum. I have seen kids younger than you fly the crap out of large scale planes and it was real impressive. I have been flying for 19 years, these young kids blow me away with their razor sharp responses and skills. I am comfortable just being able to fly without crashing, LOL. GO FOR IT young man. Enjoy this hobby for all you can get out of it. Having fun is why we do it anyway isn't it?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

[quote]You should really go for the path that gets you the best chance of success. If you have flown smaller warbirds already and have a feel for how they handle, why not enlist the help of one of the better and more experienced pilots in your club? Preferably one who flies these warbirds that you want to fly. Ask him to come out with you and talk you through your first flight or two, and ask him for trimming advice. One post earlier in the thread mentioned how quickly the "jerks" at the field turn into really nice guys when you start asking them questions instead of acting like a know-it-all. Enlist one of those guys who really does have experience and let him tell you what to do to have a good flight. [quote]

Dang it Jester you said what I was gonna say,lol

Old 06-06-2010, 01:26 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Sounds like I should GO FOR IT!!!

Even though I haven'te been flying nearly as long as other people have been flying warbirds, I still love them and want to fly them, so why not fly them, learn about them, and go from there, and not move one airplane at a time!!

I was looking up young pilots like me on youtube, and I saw a15 year old flying a HUGE giant heli, 2 or 3 times the size of the gas helis, and he was flying that thing like crazy, and won a trophie.

My one question is, whats an all composite airplane?
Cause I've been talking about the top flite P-51, and they says its not composite. Whats composite?

Thanks
A composite airplane is one that is built out of Fiberglass and/or carbon fiber.

A friend of mine is working on the big top flite p-51 right now. He bought the ARC version which is balsa/plywood and is fiberglassing it so he can paint it. He has the wings almost done and only added 1.5 ounces of weight to each wing half. He is an excellent builder and he still has not decided on the paint scheme yet.

GO FOR IT! HAVE FUN. BE SAFE!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:02 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

I am doing this thread to see what other people not in my club think.

I'm 15 years old.
Have been flying for 6 years.
I want to start flying warbirds, but the comments I hear at my field about me flying airplanes like warbirds are really making me mad, and making me mad because they base age on what airplanes i should be flying.
I have waayyyy more experience flying these things than they think. I try to let what they say go in one ear and out the other.

So my main question is, what do other people think about a 15 year old flying a Don Smith B-17 bomber or Nosen P-51?
P.S. I do have warbird experience if you want to know.

Thanks

Your flying a Don Smith b-17?? awesome.
The guys atmy previous club would treat me in a similar fashion as I for years had been the youngest member until 2 years ago.
I've got a 13.5 pound .60 size royal corsair and they tried to tell me they wouldn't allow it because I wasn't experienced enough. New club now and she flies just fine but does so with a 23cc weed eater gas conversion engine. Also old club didn't like my giant 14 foot 40 pound Queen, and she's IMMA legal with a zenoah G62. Queen has flown for over 6 years, borrowed engine off it last year for a 73 inch cap 232 to use.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22056.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1448814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97324.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1448815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of58851.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1448816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh40746.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1448817  
Old 06-06-2010, 04:56 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

son, don't ever let someone tell you what age you need to be to fly any rc plane.People telling you your too young or too old is such crap!

I am 61 and fly alot of 3d so does that mean I need to act my age and fly a plane with trainer wheels??who in heck makes these dumb statements.theres a young guy now in his second year of college that flies warbirds ..mustangs to be exact and when he buzzed the field ,,lordie would that make me jealous.lol.admittedly as you get much older the relexes are a bit slower and that not your age perse causes you to fly different planes .way back before you were born there was a kid who won the pattern nats and he was younger than you.

you are to be applauded and encouraged and not classified to fly a certain plan because of your young age. good lord enjoy the hobby and shoot for the stars and ignore the numbskulls ..
Old 06-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Lnewqban

Sounds like I should GO FOR IT!!!

Your right to do it is more than clear now.
You already love and want to fly those models.
Next step should be to learn about them.

How much do you know about stall-spin?
That is the evil associated to the high wing loading of warbirds, which will be waiting for a little mistake of you to take your dream model onto the ground.
Something like that, will give each of the guys who oppose to your idea today, an opportunity to believe they were right about it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8947745/tm.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQIUd-jBBn4

Best of luck!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:09 PM
at101

I don't think so one example is the 18 year old jet pilot
Old 06-06-2010, 06:51 PM
archie05

LargeScale88, go for it. I am just about to make the turn myself and get my first warbird, a P47 Thunderbolt. I watch the guys at my field fly them and they are fun to watch. The older generation will come around once they see you fly. Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.