Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ex glow guy looking to get back into flying, going electric

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ex glow guy looking to get back into flying, going electric

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 PM
bmonnig
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ex glow guy looking to get back into flying, going electric

Ilearned to fly years ago, on a Thunder Tiger TT-40 Trainer. Iflew the heck out of that plane, and got pretty good with it. The "old fogies" who taught me at the field seemed pretty impressed at how quickly Icaught on. I'd take that trainer knife edge, inverted, LOVEDto fly in the winds (and loved to "land backward" even more), etc. That was all fun and dandy, but I was just out of high school at the time. Ieventually moved to flying a flap-equipped Telemaster 2000, but didn't get to fly much more before life took me to other places.

I'm about to turn 34, and I'm looking to get back into RC. I've got a 7 year old step son who also appears very interested in RC planes, and I'd like to fan that flame as much as possible. Though I thoroughly enjoyed flying in the past, I really grew to dislike the glow side of things. Starters, plugs, adjusting carbs, carrying fuel, pumping, and worst of all...CLEANING THE SLIME OFF THE SIDE OF THE PLANE. At the same time I was flying planes, I was also running / racing electric stadium racer trucks. As such, Igrew familiar with ESC's, motors, packs / building, etc.

Being older now, with more responsibility and less time to "take a day flying", I'd like to find something that:

1) I can fly at "a moment's notice", in some of the nearby fields and parks
2) Does not require a lot of gear / accessories
3) Does not require a lot of cleanup / post-flying time
* The above all push me toward electric

4) Can "buddy box" up, and start teaching the 7 year old, and / or at least let him fly
5) best"value"as much as possible
6) NOTlooking to build a wood kit at this point (time, space, etc)

In looking around it appears that 1) computer radios have REALLY come down in price, or 2) I'm making a lot more money now that I was in high school. Computer radios look to be very affordable. With these radios, and the ability to remember multiple planes, it seems to make sense to build a fleet around 1 radio, and just buy dedicated receivers. 2.4...what's this all about? LOL This is totally new to me. Iguess my stack of old Conquest radios are obsolete?

I'm currently leaning toward some of the ParkZone / HobbyZone / E-Flite types of RTF electric planes. It seems like these foamies would address my concerns about glow "crap I have to transport", as well as cleanup, etc. I'd much rather plug in the charger and go. I'd like to find something that I enjoy flying, but that I could also let the 7 year old buddy box with. Realistically, Ithink Imay pick up something like the T28D for myself, and the Cessna to teach the kiddo with.

Which brings me to a few questions:

I'm looking for opinions / input on planes, based on the info I've laid out above. Ideas?

Which radio to buy? Iknow the foamies can be purchased with a radio, but I think it may make more sense to buy a quality radio individually, and just buy the "bind n fly"versions of the birds. What are some good, solid 2.4 radio choices? Ineed to have something buddy-box capable.

Other input or ideas? I'd like to progress MYflying to sailplanes / UAV type of stuff, because that appeals to the geek in me. That's where I'd be headed eventually, moreso than 3D type stuff. At least that's where I see it headed at this point...who knows what may end up tickling my fancy! Here are pictures of my currently neglected (mostly gas) fleet, being stored in the shop. Ifeel pretty confident in my ability to pick up the sticks and get safely back in the air in a reasonable time. I've been playing a bit with the sim at the local hobby shop as well. lol

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50962.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1456468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83471.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1456469  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:59 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ex glow guy looking to get back into flying, going electric

It sounds like the Pakrzone T-28 would be a perfect fit. It is small enough to leave assembled and toss into the seat of a car and it will fly on inexpensive 3-cell batteries. Best of all, it is an outstanding flyer equally at home in a park or at the club field. With your previous experience, you probably won't have any issues with it.

2.4GHz is definitely the way to go for the radio. They all have a specific link between the transmitter and the receiver which means the receiver will only talk to the transmitter it is linked to. This, combined with frequency hopping almost eliminates interference from other radios.

I am partial to the Futaba radios. I owned a Spektrum for a while; there was nothing really wrong with it but I just preferred Futaba and went back. Another one that I am really impressed with is the Airtronics 8-channel. There are several at the local field and what you get for the money is great. Everyone I have talked to loves them. The receivers are reasonably priced too.

Unfortunately the Parkzone bind-n-fly planes come with Spektrum receivers which are only compatible wit Spektrum/JR radios. If you want to use another brand of radio, get the plug-n-play version of the airplane. They allow you to use whatever receiver you want.

You'll also need a good charger for lipo batteries. There are a lot of good options but some of the ones from www.hobbyking.com offer a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Phoenixangel

Anything you have can be converted to electric man, there is a forum dedicated to conversions around here somewhere. As for something new that you would like that can be handled easily as a trainer, try one of the sticks.

All of this is subjective at best, so go shopping and have fun doing it. Airtronics makes some really nice radio stuff at a good price, seems I see fewer complaints about them then either spektrum, jr, hitech, or futaba.To be fair they are not as common as the before listed brands I think.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At the bottom of the header bar is the forum for Watt Flyer. Pretty much anything and everything you want to know about electric. Today there is a motor for pretty much anything you would like to fly. Converting is easy and with the new batteries on the market today they fly for a very long time. I have a small electric I converted from a 1/2A kit and I fly it for 24 minutes and have plenty of power left when I land. Getting set up is a bit expensive though.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will also mention that your current radios are old, but still very usable. You will want to check the bayyeries of course, to be sure they are still good, or just replace them to avoid headaches later, but the radios are fine.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM
heavy metal thunder

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

It sounds like the Pakrzone T-28 would be a perfect fit. It is small enough to leave assembled and toss into the seat of a car and it will fly on inexpensive 3-cell batteries. Best of all, it is an outstanding flyer equally at home in a park or at the club field. With your previous experience, you probably won't have any issues with it.

2.4GHz is definitely the way to go for the radio. They all have a specific link between the transmitter and the receiver which means the receiver will only talk to the transmitter it is linked to. This, combined with frequency hopping almost eliminates interference from other radios.

I'll second that. I have one and I think the Parkzone T-28 is a good choice, and as a ready to fly package it is hard to beat. The only thing I don't care for is the Parkzone radio. It is best to buy the ready to fly version and add your own radio. For new radios 2.4 is the best way to go.

Using a older Conquest is OK as long as batteries check out and you range check. I have 2.4 radios from Spectrum, Futaba, and Airtronics and they all work great. I still use my old Conquest now and then in 25 year old Olympic .25 for fun. I have a JR Galaxy 8 acquired in 1982 and recently converted to 2.4, that work good. I see in the picture you actually have a couple of planes that can be easily converted to electric.