Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine setback on a ultra stick 60??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine setback on a ultra stick 60??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:22 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine setback on a ultra stick 60??

I'm over powering a US60 with an 95AX and I'm worried about an already nose heavy plane becoming even more nose heavy. H9 says 5" for the engine ( firewall to prop ), I could back as far as 3 7/8. How does the set back effect the plane other than CG?? On my other sticks I just set it per the instructions and put the battery in the tail.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine setback on a ultra stick 60??

could make for some exciting manuevrability. I mounted the motor as close to the firewall as I could practically get it (spinner backplate about 1/2 inch from the end of the engine mount.

this just moved the CoG aft to 33% of chord and it was very sensitive to the elevator.

but this was with the recommended engine, a .46

i don't believe over powering it will affect it adversely except that you will just crash at a higher speed
Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 AM
WCB

How does the set back effect the plane other than CG?
Little to none.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 PM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: WCB
Little to none.
Thank you

Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

The 95 will take a larger diameter prop or a higher pitched prop of the same diameter. This could lead to higher landing speeds or prop strikes when the tail comes up. Not a big deal, but something to check before flying. The CG is about all that is affected by moving the motor, but you are gaining more power/thrust. The 95 at idle will generate more thrust than a 60 at idle which will cause a higher landing speed. Again not a big deal. Program some flap into it for more drag. A straight wing like the US should balance at 25-30% of chord.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM
carrellh

A lot of people run the Saito 1.00 on this plane, and it is about 6 ounces lighter than your 95AX. I'd move it back as far as possible. If the engine mount is aluminum I would even consider replacing it with a lighter plastic mount. That might require drilling the firewall and installing new blind nuts.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:54 AM
darylm44

I crashed my US 60 a while back and saved all the pieces. I have been trying to decide weather to attempt a fix or replace the plane, since it was one of my favorites. Noticed that Horizon has had these on backorder for some time and them changed the status to "temp out of production" and then removed it from their site. So I emailed them asking when and if the US 60 would be available. Their response was that they have discontinued the US 60 and it will not be available in the foreseeable future.

So I guess I will get to improve my reconstruction abilities. What a shame this is such a nice plane to fly. There are 5 or 6 of them in our club. They do really well on floats. Why would they discontinue a popular plane???????
Old 08-21-2010, 12:25 PM
scooterinvegas

I have no idea way, but I bet I has something to do with the prices that the chinese are trying to charge. A very good friend has been importing from china for 9 years, and he has recently told me that all the suppliers in china are getting greedy and started to price them selves out of the market. He said we (USA) are going to start manufacture a lot of the stuff we now buy from china in the few years. He said that he just came back from china a few months ago, and he couldn't belive how many high in cars he seen (BMW, mercedes, porsche, farrari). He said 9 yr ago, he never seen car like this there.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:07 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moving servos and batteries aft can correct for a heavier motor. I used an OS 160 twin-cylinder motor(much heavier than a single cylinder 120 or 160) on my US1000 and moving those items to the rear fuse made it balance just perfectly. I made a battery compartment accessible from the bottom of the fuse about halfway between the wing and tail. It has flown perfectly for quite some.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qn38524.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	593.3 KB
ID:	1487725