Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which Field Box

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which Field Box

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Dennismate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Field Box

I need to get a new field box and am considering one of these 2 - Sig Miniboss 0r Sig Gas Passer. Anyone got any opinions or veiws as to which is better?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM
haasjj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Field Box

You will get more responses if you link both of them to a web site so we can see them with having to look them up.

I need to get a new field box and am considering one of these 2 - [link=http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGBX002.html]Sig Mini Boss[/link] 0r Sig Gas Passer. Anyone got any opinions or veiws as to which is better?

Hide Signatures

like that.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
KitBuilder

I wanted the sig mini boss but at the time was too pricey for me so I went with sometihng else.. But that was my first choice.

Mike
Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 AM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

I use the Hobbico Ultratote (for fuel and starter), a homeowners tool box w/ electrical outlet reel (tools and meters/chargers, glues), and a tackle box (for parts)
Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Things marketed as RC field boxes tend to be heavier and less useful than what you can make yourself out of a toolbox.  I keep it very simple, and just use a large tool bag.  Lots of pockets and space.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

My original box I designed myself back in 1973 with a home made power panel. It seemed light at the time but two years ago I realized it had gotten much heavier (or at 67 I was not as strong as I was in my 20s). I looked around for a new field box and settled on the Sig Minni Boss. I did not build the power module but used a 1.2 mah 12 volt gel cell to drive the electric fuel pump eliminating the heavy 7 mah battery. I have a self contained glow driver with a LiIon battery that I store in the box. I also switched to a Sullivan Dynatron Starter with attached 14.4 volt NiCad battery that straps to the end of the box for storage. Since the box has a built in 1/2 gallon fuel tank and 3 drawers for tools and parts, I now have the perfect field box (for me) which carries everything I need and everything the old box did. It weighs only 15 pounds without the starter attached which is half the weight of the old box.

Bruce
Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM
carrellh

If you use an electric fuel pump, the Mini Boss will be inconvenient because it will have to be unplugged each time you remove the battery/starter caddy.

Edited to add: It is discontinued, but I like the Goldberg Mini-Tote.
It holds fuel, glow driver, battery, power panel, starter, and a couple of screwdrivers; which is exactly what I need to fuel and start the engine.

Everything else stays in a couple of big plastic tool boxes, in the truck, until needed. Most days the big boxes are never unloaded.

Something like this would be fairly easy to scratch build by looking at the photo and measuring your field equipment. The bottom and center panel with carry handle are 1/4” aircraft plywood and the rest is 1/8” lite ply. There is tri-stock in the corners and I used epoxy for all of the construction. Other glues would probably be fine but I went for something fuelproof.

Carrell
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47861.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1501874  
Old 09-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Villa

I designed and built the field box shown on the attached photos around 1972. It is made of sheet steel, about 1/32" thick ( cannot remember the gage of the sheet metal). I repaint it about every 20 years or so. The fact that is is built of welded steel does not make it excessively heavy. I carry the loaded field box plus my transmitter in one hand, and my plane in the other, to get from my car to the flight stands we use at our field. The last photo shows the field box on our field stand with my SPAD Canard plane, for the purpose of perspective.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40468.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1501988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16628.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1501989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62676.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.3 KB