RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   dirt in carb (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/1914724-dirt-carb.html)

высшее одно 06-18-2004 03:57 PM

dirt in carb

About 2 weeks ago my plane went into the ground. When i went to get it there was some grass and dirt in the carb. i took out the grass, but the dirt fell in. Any tips on cleaning it out? Or does it not matter (which I am douting.) It is an OS .46 Max AS

MinnFlyer 06-18-2004 04:04 PM

RE: dirt in carb

Hold it upside down with the crankshaft inlet open and flush with a few squirts of fuel.

voyager_663rd 06-18-2004 04:05 PM

Try NOT to rotate the prop (if there IS dirt inside, it could get between the parts and start grinding away).

Unscrew the backplate, remove it (watch out for the gasket, its fragile) and the gasket.

Get your hot water tap running and get it as hot as you can. Then let the water flow through the open carb through the engine out the back. Gently rotate the prop so the piston allows free water flow through the engine.

Don't worry about water in the engine. The castor in your fuel will protect all surfaces. Then you can take your heat gun (or even a hair dryer) and dry all the surfaces (in and out) that you can see.

Put the back plate/gasket back on (carefully) and retighten the bolts (in an X pattern--just like you alternately tighten wheel bolts on your car tires). Put the now complete engine back on your plane, fuel up and go fly.

No problemo. Happens to me quite often and never a problem after this type of cleaning.

высшее одно 06-18-2004 10:13 PM

I'll fly as soon as the repairs are done

ballgunner 06-19-2004 12:38 PM

Flying off a dirt runway can lead to problems whether or not you stick it in nose first. I use Bruline carb air filters whenever possible. Of course I also use muffler extensions. Both of these items will rob you of a few RPM's but you will be flying the engine for a long time. I never rotate an engine after a crash until it has been taken apart and cleaned. Voyager has suggested a good method of cleaning. I usually use a coffee can and fuel. Sounds costly but it's cheaper than a ruined engine.

Gringo Flyer 06-20-2004 09:02 AM

I would be really careful cleaning an engine with water. I think it is much better to use the fuel even though it is more expensive. In the long run, less risk. I follow that same method like voyage for cleaning the engine but I use fuel instead.

tommy s 06-20-2004 09:45 AM

I agree with MinnFlyer , I wouldn't turn the engine over until it was flushed. If I ever get
anything in the intake I put a little fuel in a fuel squeeze bulb and flush it out with a little presure.
Remove the backplate if you have to but don't run the engine until it's cleaned thouroughly.

tommy s