RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   CAn I use a rc car motor in a combat plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3114687-can-i-use-rc-car-motor-combat-plane.html)

themanimal 06-27-2005 02:58 PM

CAn I use a rc car motor in a combat plane

I have a .21 motor out of an R/C monster truck..can i use this in a spad combat plane. I'm thinking i can attach a prop with lock nuts. Any thoughts?

JohnW 06-27-2005 04:39 PM

RE: CAn I use a rc car motor in a combat plane

Probably no. The engine workings are basically identical to RC plane engines (except the large cooling head on a car motor, which is no big deal.) However, you probably won't have the right surface to mount the prop not to mention the crank might be a bit short. If you can find a thrust washer that will fit the engine, then it might be useable. The thrust washer is a must to keep load off the bearing or case housing. While it may "work" to jamb the prop between two nuts which is what I think you ment, I'd consider this extremely dangerous. Without the thrust washer, you are much better of just getting a RC engine that was designed for aircraft. Cheers

Pecanpatch 04-21-2014 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by JohnW (Post 3114990)
Probably no. The engine workings are basically identical to RC plane engines (except the large cooling head on a car motor, which is no big deal.) However, you probably won't have the right surface to mount the prop not to mention the crank might be a bit short. If you can find a thrust washer that will fit the engine, then it might be useable. The thrust washer is a must to keep load off the bearing or case housing. While it may "work" to jamb the prop between two nuts which is what I think you ment, I'd consider this extremely dangerous. Without the thrust washer, you are much better of just getting a RC engine that was designed for aircraft. Cheers

I am going to do this......... as a Machinist, I will make it happen.

jester_s1 04-21-2014 05:32 AM

Even if you can attach a prop to the engine and keep it on, it still won't work. Car engines are ported for much higher RPM, which means they make jack squat for power at lower RPM. With the size prop you'll need to fly your plane properly, you'll be so down on power the plane may not even fly at all. An aircraft glow engine in this size is not expensive, so get what you really need.

aspeed 04-21-2014 05:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I tried one, the drive washer was a bit of a problem, as was fitting an rc carb (no big deal in this case) The thread is a bit short, so a stepped nut is needed, usually, and a drilled prop to fit. The timing is fine on the Axial, kind of tame for a pipe even. Got a Picco .05 P0 on the way maybe if I can work out the weak crank. The Axial, I cut off the threaded portion, and softened the crank, drilled and tapped it 10-32. 1/4" - 28 looked like it would weaken the bearing area. I am still looking for a cheap Novarossi .28 to somehow sneak into the house. I could buy a new airplane type reasonably now too ($160), but they used to be $400.