RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   OS .65 Problems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9601974-os-65-problems.html)

jettmoon 03-22-2010 08:32 AM

OS .65 Problems

I started up the plane today for the 1st time this year. It was flown extensively last year. Everything seemed to be fine and it was idling fine. I flew for about 2 minutes and then it just wouldn't accelerate and the power kept decreasing until it finally stalled. I brought it down, re-cranked it, it idled fine, and I flew for a few minutes and then it happened again. I took it back to the shop and then threw out the fuel I was using and opened another bottle that hadn't be opened, but it's about a year old.

I went back to flying, same results, with just accelerating on the ground. You had to keep the plane at full throttle just to keep in running. I did a couple turns on the needle valve in both directions with no improvement. I'm not really experience with adjusting it. I noticed that the oil from the muffler didn't seem to be burned as well as it use to. It seemed that last year it was more brownish in color and this years it's almost the color of the fuel. I didn't seem to have the distinctive smell as usual either. The guy I usually access for help is out of the country.

I would be most grateful to anyone who can give me some pointers.

ES CONTROL 03-22-2010 07:57 PM

RE: OS .65 Problems

Glow plug ?  I Have a 65 and love it !  A 14x5 prop can pull 7.5 lbs. vertical 17 M.P.H.

ES CONTROL 03-22-2010 07:59 PM

Sorry 14X4

snuts 03-22-2010 08:18 PM

No big worry! Sounds like a little crap in the carb, needle seet to be spacific. Screw the needle in to get a count for the reset. Remove the needle, flush the seet by forcing some fuel through the inlet, blowing out the needle port. Now reinstall the needle to the count that you had before, and run it up. After sitting for the winter the fuel most likely evaporated enbough that the first shoot of fuel carried up some contaminants from the tank bottom, or your fueling system.
This is a handy trick every once and awhile when you suspect a dirty needle seet.
Hope this helps.
-Snuts-

buzzard bait 03-22-2010 08:22 PM

I think the most likely explanation is that it is too lean. Run it up without changing the needle setting. Then try raising the nose of the plane straight up and see if it dies. If it does, it is too lean. Alternatively, using a needle nose pliers, pinch off the fuel line; if the engine quits right away, it is lean. Richen the needle till you can hold the plane straight up and keep it running solid. Also use the pinch test...it should speed up just a little before it quits. You want to play with this some to get a feel and an ear for it. You will enjoy your engines more when you begin to learn what they need.

There is a lesser chance that it is a backplate leak. The plastic backplate makes this a little more likely with LAs than with other engines. But I still think it is just lean.

Let us know.

Jim

jettmoon 03-22-2010 09:41 PM

Thanks buzzard bait and snuts, I'll try one suggestion and if that doesn't work I'll give the other one a try. I really appreciate both of your responses.

Chris