RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Clearcoat over Basecoat - Question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9942572-clearcoat-over-basecoat-question.html)

BalsaBob 08-18-2010 11:46 AM

Clearcoat over Basecoat - Question

I will not be able (due to weather and work) be able to clearcoat over the basecoat colors for approx one week. Because so much time will elapse, do I need to lightly rough up the basecoat (maybe with some 600 sandpaper) before finally applying the clearcoat ? I am using automotive paints.

Thanks. Bob

pdm52956 08-18-2010 12:53 PM

RE: Clearcoat over Basecoat - Question

Not sure about what type of auto paint you're using but the short answer is yes, you'll need to lightly scratch up the paint before you apply the clear.

51-D GUY 08-18-2010 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I used Dupont paint on this aircraft , I did'nt scuf the paint prior to applying the clear ,

somewhere around a weeks time between shooting the base coat & clear , just how are you supposed to apply your graphics that

go on before the clear , over wet paint ?

anyway , it's going on four years now & no problems !

scooterinvegas 08-18-2010 04:34 PM

Un catalyzed base sorta melts when the clear hits it, so no, you don't have to sand it. If your using the right temp reducer, you should be able to mask on it in 15-25 min to add 2nd colors. If it's been a long time, I would just dust a light coat of base over it, then clear after it tacks off.

sensei 08-19-2010 06:34 AM

If you are using Dupont Chroma Base Coat Clear Coat system, then you have weeks, even months to spray the clear coat on the base without sanding anything. If you are using PPG, you have 12 hours, or you will need to sand, and/or re-spray the base. I use Dupont on everything I build and have done so for 22 years with no problems. ;)

Bob

BalsaBob 08-19-2010 09:45 AM

I am actually using Sherwin Williams automotive paints. The basecoats do not use a catalyst (reducer only). The clearcoat uses a mix of flat and clear (in addition to the reducer and hardner), to get the look (eggshell) that I wanted. I found their basecoats very easy to work with (I am a weekend warrior when it comes to automotive paints, not a pro...).
Bob

51-D GUY 08-19-2010 02:05 PM

Hi Sensei ,

I can't say for certian if the dupont i used is a Croma base or not , I'm not sure what " Croma " means ,

but the paint is actually ' Nason " which i'm told that it's a generic brand of Dupont , it also doe's not require a hardner ,

I have painted another aircraft with PPG , it too required no hardner in the base coat , I did it the same way as the dupont painted plane,

as for letting the base dry for at least a day before i applyed the graphics , & also was around a week or longer before i had time to shoot the clear,

I'm not saying that i did it the right way , but it come out just fine , i'll try to get some pic's of this one this evening,

51-D GUY.